slimy water in toilet cistern

vivienz

33 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

are all the people suffering from this problem on well water ?

Ours is mains, not well water.

I suspect that it may be more to do with well insulated houses (not quite pun intended). Because the cisterns are recessed into 300mm blown cellulose they are maintained at a toasty temperature, ideal for encouraging this sort of thing.

5 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Ours is mains, not well water.

I suspect that it may be more to do with well insulated houses (not quite pun intended). Because the cisterns are recessed into 300mm blown cellulose they are maintained at a toasty temperature, ideal for encouraging this sort of thing.

and no toilet block hung in them no doubt 

37 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

and no toilet block hung in them no doubt 

No doubt at all. We've never had off mains sewage before so I've been going easy on the various cleaning fluids for fear of having a worse mess to clean out of the treatment plant. I've only recently noticed the mould and snotty cistern and we've been in since early August so it's not too bad, really, more a case of adapting to a modified cleaning regime.

Sorry late to this thread but all my loo’s exhibit the exact same problem as noted by @vivienz and @Jeremy Harris 

I don’t have a water softener but that’s because I live in a soft water area. 
The issue is unchanged by “seat up” or “seat down” (no girls in the house :)

House is well insulated.

Water is mains but as it crosses a fair stretch of open moorland before getting to the house is always very cool. Last few days it’s been bloody freezing! 

We live in a typical not so new build (2001) in the north west. We have this too. Only Remember this being a problem for the last year or so. The tap in the utility (little use) also gets black “bits” hanging out of the spout and the nozzles in the drench shower head constantly expel gooey black stuck and this is used 4 times a day. Ambient temps and the season make no difference.

I friend moved up the road last year from a different county and the black gooey toilet line was the first thing he commented on.

I have two exposed cisterns (back to wall pans) and one insulated concealed. Same phenomenon in all three.

Edited by SiBee
Spell check
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 14:36, vivienz said:

the water from the shower had a slippery feel to it, which, I guess, is a diluted version of the slime accumulating in the cisterns.

Diluted slime - just what I want to talk about with my breakfast after my shower ?. Ew.

I always feel that soft water is slightly "soapy".

Just had a look in my 5 month old cistern - no slime line yet.

I suspect that there is something in @Onoff's temperature theory.

Also, is there a version of one of those edge-hung cleansers that turns the water pink or blue that your granny used to use, that might go in the cistern rather than the bowl?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I suspect that there is something in @Onoff's temperature theory.

Can't form if there's ice in there! ?

Major fuel savings having an ice cold bathroom I find, nobody wants to go in there to run hot water! ?

• Haha 1

It's pristine in my Geberit cistern:

20191205_161646.thumb.jpg.d0d1167bdd428095f7d2c05ee26645f0.jpg

Thinking about mine, it's vented to the loft in 32mm solvent waste. Been like that since install. Initially just open to the loft (loosely capped) but of late connected to the bathroom extractor as a nod to extracting pan "smells".

20190907_172620

Edited by Onoff

When we built our house we left one bathroom unfinished. Quickly became a store room. 12 years later I'm just starting to finish it. The water in the Geberit cistern is 12 years old yet still clear. Supply is off so surprised it hadn't all evaporated away. Mains water no softener.