Tile Backer Board

Toppers

Our new kitchen extension has an 18mm chipboard floor, the existing kitchen is floorboards, both are fairly sound and solid. I'm planning to go over both floors with 6mm tile backer board and then obviously tile on top, what adhesive and screws would you recommend for the backer board, we have underfloor heating in the extension so will need to be careful with screw length.

40 minutes ago, Toppers said:

Our new kitchen extension has an 18mm chipboard floor, the existing kitchen is floorboards, both are fairly sound and solid. I'm planning to go over both floors with 6mm tile backer board and then obviously tile on top, what adhesive and screws would you recommend for the backer board, we have underfloor heating in the extension so will need to be careful with screw length.

Your better using Ditra matting or dura  no screws Better job

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Your better using Ditra matting or dura  no screws Better job

I'm not aware of this product so:

• How is it applied
  • Will it give the same benefits to the underfloor heating as the backer board (conducting heat)

17 minutes ago, Toppers said:

I'm not aware of this product so:

• How is it applied
  • Will it give the same benefits to the underfloor heating as the backer board (conducting heat)

You can stick it down with Ardex Just make sure the flooring is solid and clean 

We hardly ever use  backer on floors now 

I wouldn’t use the six mill on anything of any size 

• Like 1

I haven't used it but I think it should be glued and screwed.  I'm very pleased with the Ardex AF200 & the ditra matting.  If you go for the matting just remember there's 2 types - one takes elec UFH wire and the other doesnt.  I'd not use anything else tbh.

Just use 12mm plywood, glued and screwed, but make sure the floorboards are securely fixed down before doing anything as nothing will stay down if there’s movement in the subfloor. Any movement at all. 
The plywood will form to the undulations better than a rigid / brittle product will, or, lay the cement boards into cementitious flexible tile adhesive and screw down when cured.  
For the record, I’ve not used tile backer board on a floor. Never ever, and I’ve never had a floor break down because of it. I just don’t like the flexible vs brittle marriage at all. I’ve used the 1/2” thick one to make wet areas up / walk in showers etc, but that’s it.

Not lost a patient yet in nearly a 1/4 century of tiling.