Am I Unreasonable ?

Boris

If you had 2 carpenters working on pre made door liners (just screw the parts together).  Cutting  out MDF  for window boards (no routing out to shape yet) what would you expect the 2 carpenters to do in one day ?  If you paid by the job rather than the hour, again what would you expect to pay ?  TIA

Last time I tried standard "just screw together" door liners were never the right size.

Last time I employed carpenters was to hang my expensive oak doors into the oak door liners I had already put in place, and 2 of them hung 6 doors in a morning, so about an hour per door each.

If the liners are on solid walls 
One per man hour including making up the frame wouldn’t be unreasonable 

Fitting to studs at least half as many again 

Oak type internal doors 

One per man hour including latch and handle would be reasonable 

These are site Joiner targets 

There can be a massive difference between all trades that are used to site work 

and the others JOBBERS 

But will also depend on the day rate you are paying 

On a house there is hardly anything that can’t be quantified and priced 

The time taken to hang a door will vary greatly depending on how good the frame has been installed, also the weight/size of the door.

if hanging internal doors I always hung all the doors first and then went back and sorted out the furniture.

I must be slow as f,,,k and I've been making a living at it!

I wouldn't aim for any more than 4-5 oak doors in a day inc furniture or around 8 just swinging. I think 8 per day inc furniture and they could be a bit rough @nod 

Probably agree on the liners. Maybe a touch longer. I'd make em all up first, stop have a morning cuppa, then start fitting. 

In answer to op question maybe 8 liners fitted and all your window boards cut ready to fix inc ends routered if out of sheet material

@Boris, don't know if you've chosen your furniture yet but these magnetic catches are magic imo. I just fitted them to a couple of cheap doors for now (oak later). As this little video shows. No chance of catching your hip or clothes as you pass:

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

I wouldn't aim for any more than 4-5 oak doors in a day inc furniture or around 8 just swinging. I think 8 per day inc furniture and they could be a bit rough @nod 

Probably agree on the liners. Maybe a touch longer. I'd make em all up first, stop have a morning cuppa, then start fitting. 

In answer to op question maybe 8 liners fitted and all your window boards cut ready to fix inc ends routered if out of sheet material

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

I fitted our OAK TYPE doors in two days 14 in total Piece of P*** If you have a jig 

I must be as fast as F*** ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

57 minutes ago, Boris said:

I will be exact.  6 window boards cut to fit,  out of MDF, no shaping.  2  Pre made liners  screwed together, NOT fitted.  This took 2 carpenters 1 day.  My OH could do this on his own.

On the face of it that sounds way too slow, more like a mornings work for one person. It's worth asking them what problems they encountered as they didn't seem to make much progress

14 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Do you have to pay more if the screws are all lined up properly?

Many many decades ago I was at a military camp trying to win camp competition for best turned out room. Running out of ideas to improve things we removed every screw we could find. Not all were brass so we had to "acquire" some so they all matched. The brass heads were polished to a high shine and the slots aligned. As i recall we got extra rounds on the range :-)

On 27/11/2019 at 22:13, Boris said:

I will be exact.  6 window boards cut to fit,  out of MDF, no shaping.  2  Pre made liners  screwed together, NOT fitted.  This took 2 carpenters 1 day.  My OH could do this on his own.

So are we talking 6 pieces of MDF cut from a sheet(s)? Presumably plunge saw and guide rail type stuff?

As an amateur working in my garage, I'd cut them with the Fes plunge-saw in about an hour I'd of thought including fully measuring & noting each window, then laying it out and cutting it and setting up the extension cable, dust vac and saw! If I could do it on my table saw - run them all to the same width then use the sliding mitre-saw to cut to length I reckon maybe 30minutes!

I'd probably screw together 2 pre-made liners in 15-20 minutes. Are you paying them an hourly rate? I'd be keeping an eye on them and pulling them up, or simply throw them off the job if you can.

If a job price then leave them to it. They might blitz things on the last day. Are they working for a firm?