How to finish around door casing without architrave

Pete

I have a long corridor that will have 3 separate doors in it. I want to paint them the same colour as the wall, no handles with a push to open catch so they sort of blend in with the wall. Problem I have is how to finish the p/b upto the door. I have included an image to hopefully explain what I am trying to do and one possible solution that I have come up with. You will see that I am hoping to use Soss hinges as they completely disappear when the door is closed giving me the look I am after. The main problem will be leaving enough of the door casing to be able to fix the hinges into hence the angle on the door casing and p/b. Anybody got any better ideas? TIA

15748735662671832631628096822616.jpg

The chance of getting that stop bead in accurate enough to get a decent square door is zero and how do you neatly fit it around the top of the door. These sorts of details are always much harder to build than to draw and more often than not end up with the plaster cracking around the door any way and looking bad. I have used a shadow gap detail in this sort of situation dozens of times in commercial jobs. Use the detail above but with a qic trim d12. Job done. Also use a 3d adjustable hinge as you will make life even harder with a soss hinge.

Edited by Alex C
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you seen the MATT RISINGER videos on YouTube, lots of hidden door details. 

Yes, there are some good videos.

48 minutes ago, SlivenClod said:

Have you thought of creating a shadow line? 
I would be worried that the plaster would start to fail with the movement of the door in your sketch.

I have seen it done like this - and I am planning using this to do away with architraves

image.png.1b24dcc416cdd61bc9a3972e697b790a.png

The rest of the doors in the house are finished with shadow trims, I just wanted to hide these three doors if possible.

18 minutes ago, Alex C said:

The chance of getting that stop bead in accurate enough to get a decent square door is zero and how do you neatly fit it around the top of the door. These sorts of details are always much harder to build than to draw and more often than not end up with the plaster cracking around the door any way and looking bad. I have used a shadow gap detail in this sort of situation dozens of times in commercial jobs. Use the detail above but with a qic trim d12. Job done. Also use a 3d adjustable hinge as you will make life even harder with a soss hinge.

Will think about whether to do these doors the same as the rest seen as it could look shoddy

• 1 month later...