Possibly interesting book for architects (and self-builders?)

jack

My architect recently posted about the following book which has just been released by someone he knows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-First-Time-Architects-Successful/dp/178133420X/

I can't comment on whether it's any good, and I'm a bit late in the process to be reading such a book, but it might be worth a look if it sounds of interest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sensus said:

"Doug Johnson has over a decade of extensive and practical experience ...."

Still wet behind the ears, in other words.

Another way to phrase this might be "enough to be competent in his profession, but also young enough for his knowledge to be current", and if you are attempting  to build a passive-class house then this is highly relevant. 99p sounds a steal to me.   

Edited by TerryE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sensus said:

I paid for the Kindle download on this last night, and it simply hasn't turned up. 

Kindle probably just figured someone so experienced and with such a busy practice wouldn't have time to read it anyway ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sensus said:

Oh, I'd have read it... I find it quite amusing to read stuff by clowns who pretend to know a lot more than they thing they do. ;)

... clowns who pretend to know a lot more than they thing they do ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sensus said:

I'm therefore not expecting great things from it, but at 99p, it couldn't do any harm so I've just bought a Kindle copy.

Literally cheaper than 10 screws from B&Q.

Edited by Conor

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

CPD hours

Teacher 30 hours

Engineer 30 hours

Veterinary 30 hours

Nurse\Midwife 35 hours

Medical Doctor 50 hours

Self builders: 56 hours a week continuing unprofessional development.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

I managed to download it for 99p and have skim read it. Brief review is that I didn't find much in there that was of use / help to me. Very high level, wishy washy concepts (you need a 'superstar project manager') but not that much around practical techniques, detailing etc. 

It does read a bit like an advert for why you should have an 'independent energy assessor' involved in every single aspect of the project. The mesh energy hierarch is an inverted pyramid of where you should focus attention / budget. Location (orientation), fabric, airtightness, renewables, appliances, usage in a nutshell (the first being the greatest). I couldn't fathom how this was a mesh, but knowing it's the name of the author's company, it now makes sense. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It does read a bit like an advert for why you should have an 'independent energy assessor' involved in every single aspect of the project.

That doesn't surprise me.  Self-build for me was as much about learning new stuff as it was about building a house.  It was an interesting challenge, and one that paid off in terms of the performance of the end product.  The fact that we saved many, many thousands of pounds in fees was really a bonus.  Others may have a different view, and just want to pay several people lots of money to do all this stuff, which is fine, but the chances are they may then spend more money on the build than the house will be worth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

That doesn't surprise me.  Self-build for me was as much about learning new stuff as it was about building a house.  It was an interesting challenge, and one that paid off in terms of the performance of the end product.  The fact that we saved many, many thousands of pounds in fees was really a bonus.  Others may have a different view, and just want to pay several people lots of money to do all this stuff, which is fine, but the chances are they may then spend more money on the build than the house will be worth.

+1. I enjoy learning stuff (but had a head start as I worked as a builder for a few years) and now enjoying the fruits of my labours ?