We need more ornamentation in our builds …

Dreadnaught

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

We're going to have a go at incorporating subtle references to salamanders in our place.

Inspired by a present given by @Ferdinand, (a pair of salamander castings) I thought I might make a mold, and cast a lead salamander- I have half a mind to attach one to the end of our ridge beam.

Best of luck with that.

I'm quite keen on art'n'stuff in architecture, but it's always a question whether we want 'extra' decorations, something in the basic architecture, or something which fits in with the design but enhances it. The "one percent for the arts" seems to be a good idea - substantial without being onerous, and a chance to support local artists who can give good value and real engagement.

At home I have a Gryphon on the gable, and a custom done stained glass panel in the front door - both put in by the self-builder who converted it.

The only one I have done recently is a more elaborate brick garden wall than necessary with some minimal diaper brickwork in it, with the usual blue and red bricks inverted - ie whole wall blue with red lozenges. And I am a sucker for etched glass.

I am sure that there are plenty of unpuffed interesting bits on bh everywhere.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Some of the detailing that used to be put into our properties was stunning. Even large, posh new builds don't seem to bother. I worked on a new 12million pound house a couple of years back with Black plastic gutters, and downpipes ! Some people just don't seem to see, or value the detail.