UFH Manifold and Pump

Triassic

I’ve been reading up on UFH zoning in highly insulated houses. I was wondering, If the house is likely to maintain a steady temperature throughout, do I need an expensive branded UFH manifold, thermostatic mixing valve, pump and individual actuated zone valves.  Why not simply have a pump supplying a common feed manifold and let the room stat switch the pump off when the desired temperature is reach?      No doubt this is too simplistic!

• Like 1

You still need a basic manifold to connect the pipes and let you ballance the flows.

Arguably you can save the cost of actuators to turn on individual zones.  And arguably you could dispense with the blending valve to set the temperature.  Mine won't reliably turn down low enough so I just rely on setting the water temperature delivered from the ASHP.

35 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Why not simply have a pump supplying a common feed manifold and let the room stat switch the pump off when the desired temperature is reach?

This is pretty much what I have. I have 3 manifolds, 2 supply the main house and the 3rd supplies the annexe. All three have a single circulator and there are no individual actuated control valves. I use the ASHP programmer to decide the flow temperature (compensation controls) and a single room controller in main house to provide feedback to the ASHP, plus another in the annexe. I balanced the individual loops to drive the relative flows.

Only reason I have 2 zones is to allow annexe to be controlled separately - elderly parents want it warmer. The zoning is controlled by the ASHP. If it were not for that a single zone would have been fine.

This is extremely simple, as there is no control (other than manually setting flow) at the manifolds I can skip circulators, blending valve, actuators, thermostats. It works very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd shop around for two 12 zone bare manifolds for my UFH project (no pump or mixing thermostat). It was interesting to see the large variation in cost, over £200.

inta-underfloor-heating-s-s-manifold-12-ports-24341_24341_P_1.jpg.c0d65e4f04f65d157cdba4a4d3eb1fe2.jpg

Screwfix                   £425

Tool Station             £407

Amazon                   £200

Ebay                         £189

BES                          £203

Builders Merchant £441

I'll probably buy from BES as I've used them before and are reliable.

12 zone manifold.pdf

Edited by Triassic