Site insurance and household insurance on our house

Judy C

We are going to building our new house in our garden.  The access to the plot is between the house we live in and a converted stable which we let out.  We have normal buildings insurance on our house, and there is buy-to let insurance on the converted stable.

We will have site insurance for the building plot, (through the main contractor and we may also need to take a separate additional one out to satisfy the self-build mortgage company).

The risk to our house and to the converted stables is probably accidental damage - e.g. a delivery lorry knocking into a wall.  The construction work is too far away for there to be any damage caused by other means, save a massive explosion.

My question is:  Do the house and converted stable need to be specified in the site insurance?  Or would accidental damage to them be covered by the insurance of the delivery driver (for example)?

I am planning on informing the household insurance companies that the building work is taking place. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Judy C said:

[...]

My question is:  Do the house and converted stable need to be specified in the site insurance?  Or would accidental damage to them be covered by the insurance of the delivery driver (for example)?

[...]

No.

It would be sensible, and very simple to fence the worksite off (with HERAS). The reason I raise the issue is - lets say that you decide to go away on holiday, and mindless vandals decide to have a good time in your house - and then they go on to do the same on your worksite. (God forbid)

Among the first questions the insurance company will check is whether the site was fenced off? If it is, no issue...... it's identifiably separate. Legally, the same entity may well be covered under multiple insurances: but applicants may only claim on one policy.

HERAS is the cheapest insurance against casual crime or tired, over-worked van-drivers. Second hand - £25per panel with a base. You'll need to fit it carefully. (wind)

• 1 month later...