house design

On 23/11/2019 at 13:33, Redoctober said:

For what my input is worth, I would be a touch concerned that the Family / kitchen room along the back could end up looking quite long and narrow - I think @ProDave raises an interesting point about its location, given the orientation of the house.

I also agree with @Thedreamer regarding the front elevation and the benefits of that bit jutting out. If budgets are tight, then the fewer angles and corners etc the better I would have thought. 

Again, it is difficult to advise as we do not know your specific requirements - do you need 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms upstairs?

If so great, if not, then a re-configure might be able to save some money. 

If you can get away with fewer bedrooms then layouts such as mine, @ProDave,@Thedreamerand perhaps @joe90might assist.

Finally, we have a utility room / boot room with a door and have found it to be the most useful thing ever. That said, it ties in with the outside car port and drive etc, so again, as @PeterWsays, a door may or may not be useful depending upon how it fits in with the outside space.

yes i can understand these points will 3.2m by 11 be very narrow? will not be ok if broken up into sections? id say the lounge and family room are where ill spend most time so they will have the best view IF i put a window on the side of family room, i may be tempted just to move the location of the window from north to west if this proves to be expensive, no id say 4 bedrooms and 2 upstairs bathrooms is enough and just a toilet downstairs

1 hour ago, Amateur bob said:

how much extra cost is it likely to add per window, roughly?

Depends on what windows you buy!!, cost saving on blocks/bricks is minimal, labour producing openings are also minimal, cost of actual window? How long is a piece of string, you could include all the windows and come up with a build cost, if over budget see how much each window not installed would save you.

13 hours ago, joe90 said:

Depends on what windows you buy!!, cost saving on blocks/bricks is minimal, labour producing openings are also minimal, cost of actual window? How long is a piece of string, you could include all the windows and come up with a build cost, if over budget see how much each window not installed would save you.

say a rough cost though for average quality? can i just fill it with blocks and cancell a window if need be or does it need to be built exactly to the drawings for getting signed off? thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi @Amateur bob,

What a lovely opportunity. We are in a similar situation in Ireland, currently at first floor level. For reference price wise, we are expecting to pay our builder €230k for taking the house from a field through to pre final interior fit-out for a similar sq meterage. I don't think your build only price is unrealistic given the £/€ rate and the fact you can reclaim VAT in the UK. I did pay a lot of attention to value (amateur)engineering the project however. Obviously profession fees/levies and final fit out will all add up. 

Couple of questions. 

1. What is the maximum ridge height likely to be acceptable to the planners? 

2. Is this likely to be a lifetime home?

3. How many bedrooms do you need ?

4. What direction from the house is/are (i) The Farmyard

(ii) The nicest Views

(iii) the access road

5. Is the farm dirt likely to be earthy or somewhat smellier?!!

6. Will you require a room that could be used as a farm office/study?

7. How proximate are your neighbours?

I'll see if a similar house design to ours (below) could be adapted if you like.....................................

Cheers, 

Iceverge

unnamed.png

Edited by Iceverge

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2019 at 21:29, Iceverge said:

Hi @Amateur bob,

What a lovely opportunity. We are in a similar situation in Ireland, currently at first floor level. For reference price wise, we are expecting to pay our builder €230k for taking the house from a field through to pre final interior fit-out for a similar sq meterage. I don't think your build only price is unrealistic given the £/€ rate and the fact you can reclaim VAT in the UK. I did pay a lot of attention to value (amateur)engineering the project however. Obviously profession fees/levies and final fit out will all add up. 

Couple of questions. 

1. What is the maximum ridge height likely to be acceptable to the planners? 

2. Is this likely to be a lifetime home?

3. How many bedrooms do you need ?

4. What direction from the house is/are (i) The Farmyard

(ii) The nicest Views

(iii) the access road

5. Is the farm dirt likely to be earthy or somewhat smellier?!!

6. Will you require a room that could be used as a farm office/study?

7. How proximate are your neighbours?

I'll see if a similar house design to ours (below) could be adapted if you like.....................................

Cheers, 

Iceverge

unnamed.png

sorry for late reply ive just seen this, the closest neighbours are the other side of the steading so roughly 600ft away, its been designed so that the kitchen/diner etc looks out south west as this is where the best view is and the farm track is to the north of the house coming in from the west, thats a nice house design you have do you have a copy of the floorplans? thanks

Hi Bob,

Here are our plans. 

This was the final of many iterations but the fundamentals were.

1. Simple rectangular shape - Cheapest, easiest to build, easiest to make airtight. Less insulation needed as less m2 wall per m2 floor. 

2. Water + wet rooms all grouped in one corner. Cheapest, less pipe runs, less waste pipe runs. 

3. (almost) All rooms with at least 2 windows to allow for a natural light + cross ventilation etc. 

4. Old age proof - Living room can be converted to bedroom and we will have level threshold access ( as per regs ) and an accessible shower room/toilet downstairs. 

5. Hip roof to ease the insulation of the eaves and provide a large overhang of the walls. 

6. A realistic view of the total number of rooms we'd need and minimising the floor area and house size to this requirement. 

7. A balanced handsome exterior. ( although beauty is in the eye of the beholder!) 

8. No unnecessary complications.  

I'll have a quick blast of sketchup and see what I can come up with. 

House 2.15 First Floor Plan.PNG

House 2.15 Ground Floor Plan.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2020 at 20:07, Iceverge said:

Hi Bob,

Here are our plans. 

This was the final of many iterations but the fundamentals were.

1. Simple rectangular shape - Cheapest, easiest to build, easiest to make airtight. Less insulation needed as less m2 wall per m2 floor. 

2. Water + wet rooms all grouped in one corner. Cheapest, less pipe runs, less waste pipe runs. 

3. (almost) All rooms with at least 2 windows to allow for a natural light + cross ventilation etc. 

4. Old age proof - Living room can be converted to bedroom and we will have level threshold access ( as per regs ) and an accessible shower room/toilet downstairs. 

5. Hip roof to ease the insulation of the eaves and provide a large overhang of the walls. 

6. A realistic view of the total number of rooms we'd need and minimising the floor area and house size to this requirement. 

7. A balanced handsome exterior. ( although beauty is in the eye of the beholder!) 

8. No unnecessary complications.  

I'll have a quick blast of sketchup and see what I can come up with. 

House 2.15 First Floor Plan.PNG

House 2.15 Ground Floor Plan.PNG

sorry i just saw this, quite like this the rooms are spacious, no office or dining room though?