New Timber Framed Extension

SeanBirt

Hello and good morning,

i am stuck.....i do not know what blocks to use for the subterrain wall that will be built on top of the foundations going up to dpc.

Foundation trench is dug and ready for the blocks i just do not know which ones to get? which will also enable me to work out my final trench depth (so i do not get any cut blocks).

the construction going on the wall will be of timber construction 120mmx45mm frame + insul, battens and cladding.

do i need to build 2 skins of blocks or do i go for a complete block no cavity?

i will attach image files later when i get home.

thank you for any help.

Sean

Hi 

thank you for your replies.

i have attached some images of the wall detail and other stuff., although ignore the foundation detail it was done before i kind of knew what i was doing.

i am also future proofing the structure just incase we decide to put on a second story. i know what i want and am capable of doing it but i just really need to know how to do it......within regs...

not sure on size of block i need.....

thanks again in advance.

5 Brickyard Cottages plan detail-Model.pdf 5 Brickyard Cottages details-Model.pdf #Extension1.PDF

I fully agree with @Sensus if you build it as you have detailed I would expect your timberframe to start rotting out immediately and be beyond help within 5years. 

The other drawing shows a timberframe layout, if this is how it is planned to be constructed you need to go back to the drawing board and completely re design it, 

if you have drawn this up yourself say so, if you need a hand and we will point you in the right direction there are many knowledgeable people here who are happy to help. 

what you have there is a poor construction drawing for a shed. 

Hello thank you for all of that.

yes i did do the cad myself and would never consider myself in the same league as architects, im just someone who knows his way around a cad system. also the drawings are not construction drawings just something i threw together to give an idea. they are incomplete and very rough, and would not be used to build from. but thanks..

currently the completly wooden building is stood on about a 1ft of broken up rubble and 3 layers of brick, it was built in 1895 and is still standing today.

We live in that badly drawn shed lol.

What blocks would you all recommend??? was the original question but thanks anyway

also

yes Russell i will require lots of help because yes i am out of my depth. but can and will get what i am going for. we have no funds for the Archi and struct eng, so only way is this im afraid which is why i sought out this forum.........?.

so i am looking at dense concrete blocks to form the wall on top of the foundation concrete(which will be 600mm wide x 300mm high recommended) to take me out of the dirt to DPC.

Thank you kindly

Sean

Hi @SeanBirt and welcome

Why not get a timber frame company to price this for you?  If they do the work they will also supply all the required structural drawings and calcs for building control and advise on the most suitable blocks / bricks for the base courses.  I often see 140mm blocks for 140mm cls walls.

They may be able to supply the kit cheaper than you can buy the materials and make it yourself and it will all be done to correct spec.