Community Infrastructure Levy on sheds

peter2703

Hi all , not sure if this is the right place for this post but I have a potentially costly problem which I'd like a bit of advice on please.

I built 2 large sheds within PD limits but then the PA told me that PD rights had previously been withdrawn so would I please apply for retrospective  PP.

I duly sent in the form but they then hit me with a CIL form because the total EXTERNAL area is more than 100m2.

I looked up the regs and they should be using internal area but that's an easy issue to sort out I guess.

The total area of the two sheds is 105M2, one is a games room for my young children and the other is divided into 3,  a workshop, store and sitting area.

Question - the charge looks like about 18k in our area and this is totally ridiculous for these structures - what to do?

Regards,

Peter

I know nothing about CIL as I built a replacement house but a little bit of reading found this, not sure if it helps.

Are there any reliefs from the CIL?

In accordance with the Regulations the following development may receive relief from CIL:

• Charitable development
  • Social housing development
  • Self-build development
  • Self-build residential annex or extension

Guidance notes are available to explain the process for claiming relief, available to be viewed on Guidance Notes and Other Information Source

would yours not come under .4 ?

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

would yours not come under .4 ?

It would have if he had applied for CIL exemption before he started work, which is what you have to do.

However as they are built i don't think that there is a method to retrospectively apply for exemption.

• Sad 1

CIL was never, ever meant to be applied like this by the zealots of LAPD - it was to mitigate the impact of development on the local infrastructure

But give pipsqueaks power and they squeeze till the pips squeak

(LAPD = Local Authority Planning Dept)  :-)

• Like 1

(Seem to be 2 versions of the thread)

Ouch. Make it smaller for GIA purposes.

I think the first need here is thinking time, as CIL takes a bit of getting to grips with and varies by area.

But the easy way is if the GIA calc is less than 100 when you correct the Council, if they accept the basis of your calculation. What is the actual GIA? Start with that.

If your PP is still in process, in which case I think you can "withdraw" it then resubmit within the next 12 months without having to pay another fee. If it is not yet determined, I would check that you can do that, then withdraw and go into the regs etc.

Can you make eg your logstore or your sitting area open to the outside etc. to shrink the GIA ?

Walls can take up a lot of space :-); can you make some walls a bit thicker with insulation, or use other tweaks? :ph34r: Make it accurate, 'cos if I were the Council I would come and measure it having been subjected to that sort of claim.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Where is the 'area' measured? If it's a floor level you could box off some strategic areas with sloping sides if needs be to reduce floor area but not available space so much.

Likewise any workshop needs a bench, could it be fully built in and the area underneath inaccessible and therefore  discounted from the internal area?

What about splitting the two applications? Does that mean you get twice the area.

14 hours ago, peter2703 said:

you mean with an internal stud wall or similar?

Top marks for lateral thinking.

Perhaps some internal insulation would also use up the floor space and might be needed anyway if building control get involved?