ASHP + Planning Reqs. Post-Approval

Dan F

Hi,

We didn't include an ASHP in our initial planning application but now plan to use one.  I've tried asking our local planning team if I need a planning ammendment or not but have be given mixed answers:

1) If you decide to use an ASHP (assuming this will result in altered external elevations) you would need additional permission.

2) Please see below the link to the Planning Portal information on Heat Pumps which you may find helpful.  In order to confirm that all conditions have been met, you will need to submit an application for a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Development. The fee for this is £103.

The concern our M&E consultant has is that we plan to use it for hot water and some cooling and not "just for heating" as stated in requirements and so technically we wouldn't comply.  Although our  architect has a good point when he explained that permitted development rules, only actually apply once a build is complete and not in the context of a planning application for a new build.

Anyone else have any experience with this?  Wondering if we should just proceed, or need to potentially submit a minor ammendant. Also, if the hot-water/cooling aspect really is a concern regarding compliance.

Thanks!

I was fortunate that I realised the need for PP in time so amended my plans to include it and it was passed.

Re cooling. Simple.  Install an ASHP just for heating, and only after completion and sign off do you decide to alter it and use the cooling function.

@ProDave @Sensus Thanks.

I do need to submit a minor ammedant for an additional WC window still.  I'm wondering if it might be worth including the ASHP size/location in this submisison also (without specifiy what it will be used for) and by doing this get formal planning approval for it.  Or, if it might be best to keep it out of the ammednant, just to avoid any potential questions and simply go ahead with it (while complying with the rest of the PD requirements)?

Edited by Dan Feist

How close is it to your next neighbour? If it's a couple meters I'd not think there's a whole lot they could reject it on so I'd add cooling too, as you're amending to add it anyway, then you're covered. 

For my part we're doing it under PD (planning was already approved before we decided to go electric, but it's a renovation). The M&E spec says cooling must be supported by the unit, but not commissioned. 

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why 'must' and not may or can?

Because I don't want to have to buy another ASHP when I eventually decide I do want to turn on the cooling. (having made a successful planning application, obviously)

9 hours ago, joth said:

How close is it to your next neighbour? If it's a couple meters I'd not think there's a whole lot they could reject it on so I'd add cooling too, as you're amending to add it anyway, then you're covered. 

It'll be only just over 1m from side boundary, so close!

I'm not sure if I really need to ammend application just to add ASHP (mixed messages from council).  We will be submitting an ammended for something else though, so I was wondering if it made sense to add it into this ammendment, or not bother and go ahead anyway..

The M&E spec says cooling must be supported by the unit, but not commissioned. 

That's a good idea!

Edited by Dan Feist
  • Like 1

We did not show the heap pump on planning, just installed it during the build. There were no issues.

For SAP we declared the model and did not mention cooling, which was disabled from the factory. Was told this is to comply with the certification requirement. A simple link on site enabled it after commissioning complete.

Out pump is approx 2m from the fence, our neighbors house is about 2m beyond that.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

But how close is the nearest house?

Our house is 1.65m to boundary.  Our neighbours house in on the boudary. 

The ASHP will be be literally just 1m from their boudary and their house.  But, in theory this should still comply with MCS planning conditions, as our neighbours have no windows to habitable rooms on this wall.

Edited by Dan Feist

9 hours ago, ragg987 said:

cooling, which was disabled from the factory. Was told this is to comply with the certification requirement

MCS certification does allow.cooling, the only requirement in RHI is that the metering does not include any energy used for cooling. So I think some manufacturers just disable cooling rather than add to or alter their metering. (it would seem fraudulent for anyone on RHI "metering for payment" to enable it though)

9 hours ago, ragg987 said:

A simple link on site enabled it after commissioning complete.

Out of interest, which manufacturer/model?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

We're looking at installing an ASHP as part of a major house renovation. Our place is mid-terrace with a plot width of just under 5m. 

Further along the street our neighbours have just dropped their plan for an ASHP as they were told it had to be  1m from any boundary. 

My reading of https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/heat-pumps/planning-permission-air-source-heat-pump is that the 1m restriction is a condition for permitted development.

Can anyone confirm that if we put it in the planning application, we can site the ASHP as close to the boundary as airflow allows?

As part of the work we will aim to replace the tired panel and concrete post fence with a brick wall.

Many thanks.

Edited by NCXo82ike

Just now, NCXo82ike said:

My reading of https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/heat-pumps/planning-permission-air-source-heat-pump is that that condition is only for permitted development.

Can anyone confirm that if we put it in the planning application, we can site the ASHPP as close to the boundary as airflow allows?

Sticking to the 1m is still advisable, but my understanding is the same as yours; if the ASHP is clearly marked in your planning application and your application is approved then this is what counts.

In our planning application our architect added the ASHP and stated "ASHP to be installed in accordance to MCS 020 Planning Standard in relation to acoustics and habitable rooms".  Our planning drawings show ASHP 1.20m from the boundary, but in practice we've ended up closer given the ASHP needs 250mm breathing room making the total depth required 700mm rather than 450mm.