Recommendation of a plumber in Antrim/Ballymena area?

JamieM

Can anyone recommend a plumber in the Antrim/Ballymena area?

Thinking of installing a TS (500L) with an oil system boiler similar to suggestions from nickfromwales in other posts. 

Would just like a plumber with experience of fitting one and familiar with working with a low energy house.

Also going with PV and under floor downstairs.

Have already talked to one plumber and awaiting a quote from him and although he said he can install whatever we wanted, he was keen pushing the UVC route telling me that new condensing boilers would be just as efficient as if it was running the underfloor via a TS.  I just got the feeling he wasn’t to used to working with a TS.

thanks

Jamie

22 hours ago, JamieM said:

Can anyone recommend a plumber in the Antrim/Ballymena area?

Thinking of installing a TS (500L) with an oil system boiler similar to suggestions from nickfromwales in other posts. 

Would just like a plumber with experience of fitting one and familiar with working with a low energy house.

Also going with PV and under floor downstairs.

Have already talked to one plumber and awaiting a quote from him and although he said he can install whatever we wanted, he was keen pushing the UVC route telling me that new condensing boilers would be just as efficient as if it was running the underfloor via a TS.  I just got the feeling he wasn’t to used to working with a TS.

thanks

Jamie

:/

An excerpt from the ERP guidelines update. 

Quote ....

"

The modulation of oil-fired boilers

The major stumbling block is on the modulation of an oil-fired boiler. Generally speaking, certainly in the UK, a domestic oil-fired boiler typically has a fixed burner, a non-modulated burner.

It simply cycles on and off when it reaches its required temperature.

However in the current proposals, manufacturers would incur a penalty of 7% on the overall efficiency of the boiler.

We consider this notion to be very unfair as we don't see any great difference in efficiency between an on/ off burner and a modulating burner.

As a result we believe, a penalty which takes 7% off the efficiency of, for example, one of our oil-fired boiler will make it difficult, if not impossible, for oil-fired boiler to continue in the UK without changing to a modulating burner.

A modulating burner would cost almost double the price of the present burner used in oil burners and also require an increase in controls complexity.

All of which are relatively untried and tested so as a result we think it could signal the end of oil-fired boiler.

In what is generally a price-sensitive market, the price of an oil-fired boiler would increase significantly, thereby reducing accessibility and meaning homeowners would probably be forced to look for other means of heating their homes."

22 hours ago, JamieM said:

he was keen pushing the UVC route telling me that new condensing boilers would be just as efficient as if it was running the underfloor via a TS.

Delete his phone number. He clearly doesn't understand the problem. ( * )

There's no way you'll be able to run the Ufh direct via motorised valves and an UVC unless he proposed fitting a large, as in 300ltr, buffer tank. 

It's not about efficiency, it's about being matched to the heat load properly. 

Condensing is nothing to do with modulation, and it's modulation you'd need to lower the heat output to run the Ufh efficiently. As the boiler is basically on or off ( 100% of the heat capability or 0% of it ) then you need to use a TS or buffer to capture and hold the pulsed-in high grade heat so the Ufh can just gently draw what it needs and in the quantity it's needed. 

The use of a TS also means you can set the boiler flow temp and the TS stat accordingly to dictate ( near as damnit ) the return temp. That means you can optimise the efficiency of the boiler by staying in the ideal flow - return temp range to promote full condensing operation. 

( * ) In the boiler manufacturers installation instructions ( MI's ) it'll actually say that you need to 'design out' any scenario which would result in the boiler 'short-cycling', one which the UVC and direct fed Ufh would instantly create ;). A poorly designed system could see you with no warranty as short cycling an oil boiler will seriously affect it's longevity, plus it'll be using a lot more oil. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and if you find a good plumber I'm happy to speak with them if there are any aspects of the remit they're unsure about. 

;)  

cheers Nick, very much appreciated

On 26/10/2016 at 18:15, philkenny said:

sorry plumber hasn't made it back to site yet, i ll try get them passed onto you tomorrow!

cheers for PM'ing me his number, much appreciated.

On 25/10/2016 at 07:55, Nickfromwales said:

and if you find a good plumber I'm happy to speak with them if there are any aspects of the remit they're unsure about

@Nickfromwales I may well be in touch with you about this - all the plumbers I'm talking to are recommending UVC.  I'm guessing just cause that's what they've always done when it comes to using an oil boiler as a heat source.

• 1 year later...

Hi @JamieM

Based on what @Nickfromwales and others have talked about i would like to go down the TS route. 

I know it was a while ago but did you have any joy finding a plumber who was familiar and happy to install a TS in Northern Ireland?

Thanks