Solid wood bathroom vanity unit

H F

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Wood will warp in a humid environment - decent bathroom furniture is moisture resistant MDF which is more stable. 

What about wood like oak? Will that warp or will it be more resistant?

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I made bespoke furniture for years. i would never use solid wood in a bathroom. It would either be mrMDF sprayed in any colour, or veneered MDF heavily lacquered, if they wanted a wood finish. Don't use solid wood.

Thanks for that. Is that for the same reasons as Peter?

5 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

The thing is, you might get away with it, if you have got very good extraction. I just would'nt do it because, because i did'nt want to take your hard earned off you, only to have you ring me up in 12 months to say that the stuff had started to fall apart.

I completely understand. Makes a lot of sense. I just don’t like the light weight nature of MDF furniture... but your points are extremely valid. Decisions, decisions. 

• Like 1

We've got this in oak - http://www.stonearth.co.uk/product/inspire/. Seems to be holding up well, had it for 5 years now. Only place where the finish is coming up a bit is the leg next to the bath where the kids splash it. But once they're a bit older, a little sand down and bit of oil, nobody will tell. Certainly no warping or anything like that though.

We opted for a half-way house, decent MDF carcases with solid oak doors.  We had the same units for ~10 years in our old house and they stood up well.  Not that expensive, either.  Worth getting decent hinges, though, as a bathroom environment can be tough on cheaper "kitchen quality" hinges.  At our old house I found the plain steel springs inside the hinges corroded fairly quickly.  The units we have in the house have Blum hinges that seem to use plated springs, so they are probably less susceptible to getting a bit of condensation.  The MVHR probably helps, too, as the bathrooms dry out very quickly here.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pudding said:

We've got this in oak - http://www.stonearth.co.uk/product/inspire/. Seems to be holding up well, had it for 5 years now. Only place where the finish is coming up a bit is the leg next to the bath where the kids splash it. But once they're a bit older, a little sand down and bit of oil, nobody will tell. Certainly no warping or anything like that though.

Thanks for that - will share the link with my wife.