Relative costs of roof works/new storey

Angel

We are planning to renovate our 1960s chalet bungalow (cavity walls, reconstituted stone). Photo attached.  Footprint is 11m x 7m; ridge is 3m long. Building is structurally sound and existing foundations are good enough to build a new two storey, timber-framed house on them.  Before we get carried away with ideas, we would like an indication of the relative costs of three options:

(i) Re-roof and re-do the existing dormers and probably remove both chimneys (this is base level option);

(ii)  Remove chimneys, convert hips to gable ends (with hipped or gabled dormers for better kerb appeal) to provide a bit more interior space;

(iii) remove roof and chimneys, replace with timber-framed, flat-roofed timber-clad, first floor extension giving a lot more upstairs space (+ cosmetic alterations to give a contemporary look).  

I can work out demolition, flooring, walls, bathrooms, electrics and so on but have no idea about the roof and exterior wall elements.  Just wondered if there was anyone on the forum who could give ball park range of figures for each option as a starting point for us?

View_of_front_of_Rick_Stones.JPG

A couple of quick points:

If you demolish and rebuild you can get a brand new 2 storey house configured exactly as you would like.  You could reuse the foundations and retain the garage.  You will be able to reclaim the VAT.

There is likely to be asbestos in the building so I suggest having a comprehensive survey carried out for this.

Thanks - that was our initial plan but we've had two new build options priced up and cannot afford these, hence the change of strategy.  You are correct that there is some asbestos that needs removing, but fortunately not much.

We're not planning on doing any work ourselves.  House needs re-wiring, re-plumbing, replacement bathroom (allow £4K fitted?), additional shower-room (allow £3K fitted?), new kitchen (say £14k incl appliances fitted?), minor reconfiguration of one ground floor wall (removing non-load-bearing wall and repositioning), insulating, new windows and doors (allow £18K fitted?) plus re-felt roof and rebuild existing dormers (there is a mirror dormer on back).  Would £100K / £120K plus VAT cover this?  How much extra would be needed to buy us the full extra floor or the hip to gable conversion?  Having twice thought we could afford to build something we really liked, on the second occasion getting it costed by QS before tender [there was a much bigger budget for that project], we don't want to waste our time again, which is why I'm asking for ball-park figures.  

Edited by Angel
missing word

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

personally, i think you are light on your bathroom, showeroom, and kitchen if you are expecting to do no work yourself. especially down south. I would imagine that in Walton on Thames, you would want a fairly high spec.

Yes I agree with @Big Jimbo - your figures appear light but that said, it is hard to offer any advice without an indication of the spec level you are hoping to achieve and the size of the rooms being considered. You will always find someone who can fit out a bathroom or kitchen on XYZ budget but without any known variables, it is hard to compare.

19 hours ago, Angel said:

We are planning to renovate our 1960s chalet bungalow (cavity walls, reconstituted stone). Photo attached.  Footprint is 11m x 7m; ridge is 3m long. Building is structurally sound and existing foundations are good enough to build a new two storey, timber-framed house on them.  Before we get carried away with ideas, we would like an indication of the relative costs of three options:

(i) Re-roof and re-do the existing dormers and probably remove both chimneys (this is base level option);

(ii)  Remove chimneys, convert hips to gable ends (with hipped or gabled dormers for better kerb appeal) to provide a bit more interior space;

(iii) remove roof and chimneys, replace with timber-framed, flat-roofed timber-clad, first floor extension giving a lot more upstairs space (+ cosmetic alterations to give a contemporary look).  

Don't forget to focus on risk and time  as well as money. I cam commenting from a Midlands perspective, but with family in Surrey and I live in a bungalow +1 storey, which was reduced to a hole in the ground and 3 walls then rebuilt. I am not absolutely clear about whether you are happy project managing at a level of Administrating it,  or the more demanding feel willing to instruct your trades / subbies on some things.

iii) I think that to get an "extra storey on your roof" company to do that could easily cost nearly your entire budget for a nice new storey and a staircase. It may not, but it could. That could put you in the "all the money on 2/3 of the project - bugger what do we do now?" category. It happens. That is a risk you need to manage.

ii) I can't really comment on - turns heavily on the local market and what prices you are given. 

i) I would suggest this one, unless you have clear ways to manage the risks you identify on the others.

I would then suggest identifying a possible "Phase 2", which would be a ground floor extension in the future if you feel you need it. That could also be doable under Permitted Development.

I would also say:

1 - Given the roof complexity, buy your own scaffolding.

2 - There are certain elements not in your list of costs, as you know. A full list (incl. for example fabric improvement) would be a good next step.

3 - Explore options such as reduced rate VAT as it has been empty.

4 - Do not forget the Council Tax you save by getting in early.

5 - Is there a risk of losing your 3% Stamp Duty if you take time selling the other one off?

6 - Serious consider whether you need a PM or Advisor to help you manage the technical side.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks Ferdinand that's useful.  @ Big Jimbo and Redoctober: The bungalow is in Wiltshire not Surrey and we weren't looking for high end finish for kitchen and bathroom, it just wouldn't make economic sense. The figures were based on quotes received for those aspects in the larger new build.   We plan to use an architect and main (local) contractor rather than subbies, because we're not close enough to manage the work on a day to day basis. Access is steep, limited to 7.5t lorries only and drive 60m long so probably need to keep materials to be brought on site including concrete for foundations to a minimum.  Sounds like we may just need to get the options worked up and costed up properly to decide but this comes with more time delays and sunk costs. However, if anyone has any idea how much in broad terms any of the following may cost:  a new roof (re-using existing tiles), converting 2 hips to gables or a new flat-roofed first floor it would be really helpful.

1088_A01_010_Existing Plans Measured Orme.pdf 1088_A01_020_Existing Elevations Orme survey.pdf

Edited by Angel
clarifying

If you are going to use an Architect, and a main local contractor, there goes £20k of your money. The Architect will have to make several visits to ensure that your main contractor is doing what is being asked of him £££££ Your main contractor will be subbing out a lot of your work and will want 20% mark up on whatever he is being charged.

• 1 month later...

Hi Angel, did you get any further with your decision? Would be good to know your findings.

I too have a bungalow and am interested in putting on another level. My current roof pitch doesn't allow for rooms in the roof so would be a case of removing all roof trusses and replacing with attic trusses.

• 4 years later...
On 12/01/2020 at 18:30, FingersAndThumbs said:

Hi Angel, did you get any further with your decision? Would be good to know your findings.

I too have a bungalow and am interested in putting on another level. My current roof pitch doesn't allow for rooms in the roof so would be a case of removing all roof trusses and replacing with attic trusses.

Also interested in doing exactly this, any updates?