Running water pipe to kitchen island

Montipora

Hi All,

just about to fit insulation on top of concrete slab ready for UFH, but need to run a cold feed to the island for boiling water tap. Can this go under the insulation to avoid the UFH pipes, or just run parallel with them on top?

Thanks

Having had the cold feed to the kitchen tap run on top of the insulation with the UFH pipes (contrary to my instructions) in a previous project, I can say that the end result was truly catastrophic! constant running of the cold tap to achieve cold water is a total pain, even after 2 years it was still an issue. There is nothing worse than a mouthful of warm water when you were expecting cold.

I would make every effort to isolate the cold feed from any warmth.

9 hours ago, Montipora said:

Hi All,

just about to fit insulation on top of concrete slab ready for UFH, but need to run a cold feed to the island for boiling water tap. Can this go under the insulation to avoid the UFH pipes, or just run parallel with them on top?

Thanks

Can you give an idea of the floor build up ..?? 

If its slab - 150mm PIR - screed then ideally the cold needs to be somewhere in the insulation. You can run the feed in 10mm pipe so it's just a case of cutting a groove in the lower insulation and laying the pipe in, tape in with duct tape and lay the next layer of insulation on top (assuming you're using two layers not one !!)

Another option is to use 22mm conduit as duct and pull the 10mm through later. 

Ideally the pipe / conduit needs 15mm of insulation all round but in reality the slab below insulation will never get below 6-7c so freezing and heat loss is not an issue and at a push you can lay the pipe on the slab and shape the insulation over it if you're only putting down a single layer.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volcane said:

Having had the cold feed to the kitchen tap run on top of the insulation with the UFH pipes (contrary to my instructions) in a previous project, I can say that the end result was truly catastrophic! constant running of the cold tap to achieve cold water is a total pain, even after 2 years it was still an issue. There is nothing worse than a mouthful of warm water when you were expecting cold.

I would make every effort to isolate the cold feed from any warmth.

Thanks, that's what I thought would happen although we are installing a zip tap which does chilled water as well, so may not be such an issue

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Can you give an idea of the floor build up ..?? 

If its slab - 150mm PIR - screed then ideally the cold needs to be somewhere in the insulation. You can run the feed in 10mm pipe so it's just a case of cutting a groove in the lower insulation and laying the pipe in, tape in with duct tape and lay the next layer of insulation on top (assuming you're using two layers not one !!)

Another option is to use 22mm conduit as duct and pull the 10mm through later. 

Ideally the pipe / conduit needs 15mm of insulation all round but in reality the slab below insulation will never get below 6-7c so freezing and heat loss is not an issue and at a push you can lay the pipe on the slab and shape the insulation over it if you're only putting down a single layer.  

Yes floor make up is as you say and with 2 layers of insulation so I think this is the way forward. Does it need to be 10mm? Or can you use the same method with 15mm. Thanks for your advice

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

You can use 10 or 15 but if it's only to a single tap then 10 would be fine. 

What are you doing about drainage ..?

Drainage is into a branch connection that was put in before slab concreted

• 6 months later...

Hi, I too have a kitchen island and need water pipes to sink and dishwasher. My buildup is hardcore/sand/membrane/insulation single layer 150mm PIR/concrete 125mm.I have no underfloor heating. Would i lay the conduit under the insulation or on top at a right angle to the closet wall which will have a service void or do i put it in the hardcore  as have done with the soil pipe.This is a last minute panic as the plumber who was to advise on this is ill.Due to laying concrete in 2 goes, old cottage today and then new extension i can sort tomorrow.Thanks

Consider running three pipes. Hot, Cold and Hot Return. Hot return needed if you are having a loop to reduce the time it takes hot water to reach the tap. 

If you are having a water softener you might need two cold pipes (softened and un-softened).

Edited by Temp