Lagging Pipes - Duct, Silver Tape etc

Onoff

I've always found the longevity of woven duct tape to be limited, particularly in exposed environments or heat. Aluminium duct tape ought to last longer, or at least I would hope so given the reliance on it for gap sealing etc, and so I tend to use that. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I use 3M electrical tape and it stays put better than duct tape or anything else. 

I think that'll be more forgiving and enable a neater job tbh. Finding it tricky to squeeze the gap closed over the bubble bend especially. 

2 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Or put it on then twist it so the slit is at 90 degrees to the bends, stops the pipe trying to poke out.

I'm doing that but this thick walled stuff is a bugger to get around the formed bend I'm finding.

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

You need to do a crocodile cut in the back of the insulation. Take thin wedges out of the inside of the curve to make it conform to the bend. 

this is the way I do it, quick work with a sharp knife. 

I opted to use armaflex pipe insulation primarily because it goes around bends easily and generally doesn't need taping in place much.  The only downside with it (apart from the price) is that it can be fiddly to remove the backing from the self-adhesive areas in tight spots.  The adhesive seems incredibly sticky, too, so you don't want to remove the backing until the stuff is neatly in place.

17 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Those pics show an area that is so tidy. I love it. You could always empty the contents of the hoover over the area to make a few of us feel better. Go on, i dare you.

@Onoff‘s tidiness makes me sick . Too much faffing - just get it done ?

0E6D86B4-B616-4CDD-8DD4-00555D179EFB.jpeg

Edited by pocster