Site security camera

We are looking for a site security camera which we can look at remotely and will also record movement. There is no power or internet yet but I'm led to believe cameras are on the market that accept a SIM card and have batteries in. Has anyone any experience with such devices? 

Not directly answering you question, but what I'm planning to do (purely as I already have all the parts)

old 12v car battery

12v trickle charger

12v / USB "cigar lighter" 5V/2A adapter

Nest camera (powered by USB)

4G wifi hotspot (Huawei E5577)

three unlimited data SIM card (£20/month)

Obviously only works if you have three network coverage.

I'm not dead sure the nest camera is best for this as if the network drops out it will drop footage. A simple IP camera that records to a local SD Card and only uses the 4G connection if you need to "remote" into it is probably a lot better.

I looked into this a bit and came to the conclusion the wildlife type remote cameras was best for this given long battery life, light conditions, waterproof, etc. Some support streaming over the mobile network as well.

Edited by gc100
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks nice, except it doesn't upload the video to the cloud, so a would be thief just needs to smash/steal the camera!

5 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Looks nice, except it doesn't upload the video to the cloud, so a would be thief just needs to smash/steal the camera!

You can turn any IP camera into a cloud camera with a cloud based NVR like https://www.ivideon.com/get-video-surveillance-for-home/

(Which also has a self-hosting option too)

EDIT forget that: ivideon needs a local server running even to use their cloud solution. I think there was some purely cloud NVR for generic cameras but I forgot which. Regardless it's way more hassle than just buying one of the many designed for cloud use cameras if that's what you want. 

Edited by joth