Help me pimp my eaves please!

Our eaves are not the best looking in the worls.... This is ugly isn't it: plug ugly in fact.

eavesSalamanderCottage.thumb.jpg.e430794b49a3be5c77bb42bbae77ba84.jpg

But, it's what the architect ordered : here's an extract from the drawings

D9.JPG.4bbb3a8e2149430f3d6a3c6acbaf6a3f.JPG

The bit (above) about the  ... PIR cut tightly to suit any spaces left above the Durisol ... is what you see in the image above.

To an extent, the ugliness is going to be hidden by our cladding : which kind of makes it worse because then the problem will be partly hidden: and once out of sight it'll be out of mind until the sparrows start nesting in it - because they can squeeze between the gutter and the top piece of cladding.

How can I create a robust closure to the gap between the rafters - yes, the rafter tails look like a dog has mauled them, I know!

Not 100% sure I can see what bit of the drawing refers to what you have photographed I am assuming we are looking along the rafter in the drawing view (rafter to SE spec...). Is that the gutter we can see the top of the photo? Sounds like insect mesh is going to be the solution if you need ventilation but you would need to create an approximately flat run to pin it to.

46 minutes ago, Sensus said:

[...]

What's happened to the 'roof felt dressed down wall dpm [sic] by 300mm. and fixed down by battening'?

[...]

b)The rafter ends should be cut off flush to the face of the wall and;

c) The roof membrane should be lapped down over the wall breather membrane, and fixed down by the battening.

Thanks for your thougthts, @Sensus

Good point. The roof felt isn't dressed down (the) wall by 300 mm. And so it hasn't been fixed to the wall by the battening.

The rafters are clearly not flush with the face of the wall.

In relation to the first point: I think the reason for that is this (exerpt from a) drawing ....

tilting.JPG.d4fa594d10460ebd3e7eb6afe18e2e22.JPG

We were meant to put a tilting filet onto the lower end of the battens, so that the membrane projects over the gutter. That tilting filet was never fitted, the membrane just sits loosley over the edge of the gutter.

Clearly the two instructions (project down the wall and project over the tilting filet ) are in conflict with one another.

In addition, the rafters need to be cut of properly.

I think the following needs to happen:

• the gutter needs to come off
  • a membrane 'skirt' needs to be fitted under the battens, but above the rafter, and project down the wall by 300 mm (thus covering the end of the insulation and the end of the rafters)
  • that membrane needs then to be fixed over the wall membrane (Solitex Fronta Quattro), but beneath the battening for the cladding.

There's no point in apportioning blame.

What do you think......? 

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

... and I think,  trim the rafters back to the wall too .... (?)

Thanks very much @Sensus

If you trim the rafters back will you not have to redo the whole roof?

does your roof not extend down to the end of the rafters and run into the gutter?

need a pic of the roof slates really 

i believe you used those funny slates that fit to an aluminium rail am I correct? 

If so can you remove the first row without compromising the rest

fit you tilting fillet and dress your membrane down as it should, 

or fit a nice facia board and mini soffit that abuts your cladding. 

All a bit of a guess without seeing it clearly. 

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ps, how did the dog get up there. 

We have a Collie called Tess. She has a thing about one of these biteable  footballs .

TESS.thumb.jpg.cfbaf5811b22d3dc6fd415ea10765b04.jpg

It makes no difference where the damn thing is, she never ever gives up. Here the ball landed on the gutter (of our house not Salamander Cottage). She balanced on top of the gate, jumped onto the roof knocked the ball down - then fell off the roof herself. Yelped in pain and promptly ran off to look for the ball.

Scaffolding is a big attraction. If she can get on it she will - if her ball is there. That's how some of the rafter ends got dog-eared.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Can I just jump on this thread instead? 

So to block up my eaves bit by bit from above, I had thought wood, then some sort of sheet was suggested, but what about just using PVC soffit board? 

What do you cut it with? 

14 minutes ago, Roz said:

So to block up my eaves bit by bit from above, I had thought wood, then some sort of sheet was suggested, but what about just using PVC soffit board? 

What do you cut it with? 

Just a handsaw will cut that for you no prob.

• Like 1

Roz. If you were going to do it with soffit board you could prob get it in the same colour that you were going to paint your exposed rafter feet. Ie; if you were going to paint them black, then get black plastic 9mm soffit board to save you having to paint it to match.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

What do you cut it with? 

If you put pvc on your barn you will burn in Hell 

nope don’t do it 

must be wood to keep the look. 

You are pointing up using lime mortar and now want to use pvc. 

Nope don’t do it. ????

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you put pvc on your barn you will burn in Hell 

nope don’t do it 

must be wood to keep the look. 

You are pointing up using lime mortar and now want to use pvc. 

Nope don’t do it. ????

My only thought about doing this was that you won't be able to see it as it will be 'inside'. If it was for a proper soffit I would use wood, as we have done for the barge boards, but for this I just want something watertight right?

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Oh sorry, where do you mean inside. 

Yeah sorry too, realised I havent explained it properly here - I started asking about it in the other soffit thread, which has gone quite off track in terms of my original questions. I was thinking about closing up my eaves by doing so from inside - blocking the space between each rafter. For two reasons - I dont think I can successfully cut a soffit to fit nicely along the wall of our wiggly barn, and I'm also not sure a soffit is the right look for a barn anyway. 

The tilers put a ventilation strip along the edge of the roof so there's ventilation from that, so figure I can just block off the rafters ( i was originally going to put insect mesh over them)