Moving bathroom ventilation fan

H F

We are going to have to move our bathroom ventilation fan as part of our master bathroom redo. It’s going to have to move about 2 meters from where it is.

I don’t want to destroy our ceiling to do this. 

Any clever tips or suggestions?

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Not sure I understand the problem 

cut a new hole for new vent

fill in old hole. 

Its really that simple, the hardest thing will be having a long enough cable to power it. ?‍♂️

And connecting/extending/running the ventilation pipe.

Edited by Home Farm

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The hardest thing will be doing a decent job of extending the vent pipe.  Where does it vent to? With the sloping shoulders I guess it goes to a tile vent?

Yes, it does.

I was going to connect the new vent pipe to the old one. Would that work?

45 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Yes, it does.

I was going to connect the new vent pipe to the old one. Would that work?

You can get a connection that has an additional pipe to take away condensation 

it looks like a straight connector with a joint to take a hose to drain off condensation 

if you think condensation isn’t a problem then just a straight connector. 

This is where I would really want access into the loft.  You need to make sure the vent pipe from the fan to the tile vent is a straight run, well supported.  Any sags and those bits will fill with condensation and eventually block.  It will be very hard indeed to be sure you have it right if you are doing "keyhole surgery" through a 4" fan hole.

You could actually install an in-line fan above the ceiling where the current one has its power supply, and make the pipe join using that.

They tend to be more powerful and quieter.

I had this done to a tenant’s house and we installed and we just did a fan with backdraft shutter, a decently long flexi pipe to the easiest place to put the outlet, and a cowled grill in a gable. Have had no reports of problems.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

You could actually install an in-line fan above the ceiling where the current one has its power supply, and make the pipe join using that.

They tend to be more powerful and quieter.

I had this done to a tenant’s house and we installed and we just did a fan with backdraft shutter, a decently long flexi pipe to the easiest place to put the outlet, and a cowled grill in a gable. Have had no reports of problems.

F

But you REALLY need access to the roof space if you do that because it will go wrong one day.

On 17/11/2019 at 15:44, ProDave said:

This is where I would really want access into the loft.  You need to make sure the vent pipe from the fan to the tile vent is a straight run, well supported.  Any sags and those bits will fill with condensation and eventually block.  It will be very hard indeed to be sure you have it right if you are doing "keyhole surgery" through a 4" fan hole.

Thanks for the great insight about the straightness of the pipe. I have  a hatch that may provide me with access. I’ll inspect it this week.