Washing machine waste

vfrdave

I have a mcalpine twin waste connector like below. It seems to like out through the little air hole on the top.

I assume this is not a feature, any suggestions as to why it is leaking?

The twin connector is for washing machine and dryer.  There is an s bend after the connector is it possible it isnt getting water away quick enough?

Screenshot_20191117-100226.jpg

Edited by vfrdave
Photo

AIUI, the air break is there to break a lower-than-atmospheric pressure in the pipe allowing syphoning to happen. But shouldn't it be an AAV - an air admittance valve [¹] which lets air in but prevents liquid getting out?

[¹] Not an automatic air vent which lets air out but doesn't let liquid out.

Does it have the centre hollow post in the middle still? If this is in-place then you either have too much water flow, or a slow drain going away from it. Could there be too much water seal in the trap after it? Whatever is happening you're pressurising it with either too much inlet flow or restricted outlet.

You could add on an extension to be higher but still open.

Screenshot_20191117-125347.png

Edited by JFDIY

7 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Does it have the centre hollow post in the middle still? If this is in-place then you either have too much water flow, or a slow drain going away from it. Could there be too much water seal in the trap after it? Whatever is happening you're pressurising it with either too much inlet flow or restricted outlet.

You could add on an extension to be higher but still open.

Screenshot_20191117-125347.png

Yes the centre hollow post is in the middle still.  Directly after it is an s trap with a 75mm water seal which then runs vertical for a short bit and turns to track behind the units.

So does the centre post end up in the water seal of the trap? - might be an issue.

Take the twin adaptor off, If you pour a jug of water down it does it keep up with the flow?

Might be better to have the S trap lower and have a buffer of air space above the trap In the vertical section.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I believe these are supposed to go at the top of a stand pipe, with a trap at the base.  There needs to be a length of vertical pipe below this fitting, and before the trap, to allow them to work correctly, I think.

I believe you are probably right. I will get a straight jointer and extend the pipe vertical.

6 hours ago, vfrdave said:

The twin connector is for washing machine and dryer.  There is an s bend after the connector is it possible it isnt getting water away quick enough?

I have that fitting on top of my waste stand pipe and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only think that the resistance of the S bend allows the fitting to fill up and vent water through the air vent.

1751614437_UtilityWaste.thumb.JPG.d248128ea413dd8ea1435a14609f9785.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I have that fitting on top of my waste stand pipe and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only think that the resistance of the S bend allows the fitting to fill up and vent water through the air vent.

1751614437_UtilityWaste.thumb.JPG.d248128ea413dd8ea1435a14609f9785.JPG

I knew there was someone here had the same fitting. I think I will put a vertical section before the trap and see how it goes.

• Like 1