Have you looked at purchase, you don't necessarily need hi accuracy just repeatability for balancing. You even get calibrated systems for under £200. I have no commercial interest in this link but have a look here: https://www.tester.co.uk/testo-410i-bluetooth-vane-anemometer-smart-probe Alternatively make one with a standard car Mass airflow sensor and a DVM.

You can buy a thermal anemometer from about £80

You can get "wind vane" ones for as little as £10 but I guess they only work for higher flow rates (like measuring wind speed outside)

I keep meaning to buy one to keep on my boat, so I would then have it for setting up the mvhr when the time comes.

Question for anyone that has used one (or seen one being used)  Would the wind vane ones work?  my gut feeling is the flow rates are too low and the reading would vary enormously if it wasn't close enough to the vent.

9 minutes ago, DH202020 said:

I live in Kent and will need to commission our MVHR system

....could consider some sort of sharing??

Thanks David.

I too live in Kent and will need one to commission our system, happy to consider sharing. I think this sharing idea was raised on the old site.

Mike

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

You can buy a thermal anemometer from about £80

You can get "wind vane" ones for as little as £10 but I guess they only work for higher flow rates (like measuring wind speed outside)

I keep meaning to buy one to keep on my boat, so I would then have it for setting up the mvhr when the time comes.

Question for anyone that has used one (or seen one being used)  Would the wind vane ones work?  my gut feeling is the flow rates are too low and the reading would vary enormously if it wasn't close enough to the vent.

Hi Pro Dave,  I have used one to help a bpec engineer commission my system.  We used a hooded vane anemometer,  which I think was a TSI one.  I can find plenty to rent up north, ranging from £7 per day to £60 per week, but none in Kent.  Renting a professional tool at these prices would suit me best as I would only need it for a day, just can't find a local company.

If you are saying an air vane type is okay, then you can buy one for not a lot over £10 on ebay from China.

I had my doubts that an air vane type would be adequate, since we are talking about measuring a low flow rate from effectively a point source, so I would have thought positioning of it with respect to the vent would be critical, and it would probably be right at the low end of it's ability to read. that's why I thought the more expensive thermal type might be better?

I want one for my boat anyway, so I will probably just buy a cheap Chinese one and give it a go.

I bought something similar to this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anemometer&client=tablet-android-archos&sa=X&biw=960&bih=600&tbs=vw:l,ss:9&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=4231813452151518785&prds=num:1,of:1,paur:ClkAsKraX29gHg5TgyFrgk5o3eS0iF9Dz4-M_gKr5rg157En04gpoF1kcTlJ7dpB7A44vhZn-Ya4Cwyoo6rcGtWRVrFK4Cj4mtV1HAj0qBodiOMWKTxk-GeyYBIZAFPVH73mKsjVyboDAnM8hUfP7P_wtRwC2Q&ved=0ahUKEwjvhufUt-_PAhWjIcAKHeyLAEoQgjYIlAMwBA

for my last build. I fashioned a hood from a plastic flower pot big enough to fit over the ceiling valve, fitting the handheld vane in the base of the pot so that I was effectively changeling all of the air from the ceiling valve through the vane.  

Working out airflow was then a simple calculation - velocity as measured by the vane multiplied by the open area of the vane. 

For extracts, the only change to make was turning the vane in the base of the pot over to ensure it was measuring velocity in the right direction (my anemometer has an arrow showing which way round it should be held)

It was a bit rough and ready but accurate enough to get the job done.

Thanks. That's filed under "101 uses for an old plant pot"

That neatly solves my concerns about getting an accurate and more importantly repeatable reading. So I'll go and buy one of those cheap wind vane jobbies from ebay. probably this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Smart-Anemometer-For-Wind-Speed-Gauge-Meter-TemperatureHT-/401104748056?hash=item5d63b4be18:g:uscAAOSwgApXDOMa

• Like 1

On 10/21/2016 at 22:33, MikeSharp01 said:

I too live in Kent and will need one to commission our system, happy to consider sharing. I think this sharing idea was raised on the old site.

Mike

Happy to work something out?

This is not my field of experience so a little green I'm afraid, but I got this far by not knowing much...so, what might work?

• 5 months later...

Mine is currently on loan, but you're welcome to be the next on the list to borrow it if you wish.  @DH202020 has it at the moment, but it may be that he will have finished with it by the time you need to do some measurements.  It's a Testo hot wire anemometer, fitted to a short duct that can be held over the terminals, one by one, like this:

58974f5a2f6e0_Ventilationtestmethod.thumb.JPG.5ea90b05b70a7d27cfe7d3a99e265bdb.JPG

• Like 1

I was watching a "professional" ballance an mvhr system just last week.

The device he was using was a wind vane anemometer, the sort with a small fan blade to measure the wind speed remote from the instrument (on a short curly cord). This was attached to a large square "funnel" large enough to go over the external intake and exhaust vents (the flower pot idea should work just as well).  He used the same attachment for all the measurements including from the internal vents.

On 10/22/2016 at 21:56, Jayobn said:

Hi Pro Dave,  I have used one to help a bpec engineer commission my system.  We used a hooded vane anemometer,  which I think was a TSI one.  I can find plenty to rent up north, ranging from £7 per day to £60 per week, but none in Kent.  Renting a professional tool at these prices would suit me best as I would only need it for a day, just can't find a local company.

@Jayobn can I ask what companies you found up North that offer hire as this would suit my location?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

My supplier BPC has not been able to deliver on hire of test kit, and i have not found ready hire source. So...

I am planning to buy a hot wire anemometer like this for £59

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Hot-Wire-Thermal-Anemometer-Thermometer-Air-Wind-Speed-Meter-Tester-/381970124376?epid=1640633187&hash=item58ef318e58:g:9jsAAOSwx6pYplFP

and using a length of tube or flower pot and gaffer tape to do something similar to the @JSHarris system as above.

It seems that the hot wire anemometer is more accurate than the wind vane types.

• Do others find this method works ok for an amateur.
  • Would anyone else like to share in the investment or buy it on from me?

I was hoping to get this sorted before exiting on a recovery holiday, but it now looks likely to be implemented in mid september, since I am focused on other more pressing tasks meantime.

• Like 1

I've a spare (used but good) one of these you're welcome to:

http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/vortex_wind_sensor.asp

It will connect straight to an RS232 port on a pc with the addition of a resistor and 9-pin connector. If you don't have the right port you'd need a RS232 to USB converter.

This is the kit with all the bits but easy to replicate once you've the anemometer. Screen shots on the link of WindWare software:

http://www.inspeed.com/wind_data_logging/windware_wind_speed_data_kit.asp

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Auchlossen said:

Would anyone else like to share in the investment or buy it on from me

Sounds like a reasonable plan ..! Split 3 ways it's paid for itself in a half day hire as all I'm looking to do is check the flow values. 

Alright you lot. That'll do about anemometers. I've had enough of wind recently. If it blows your Durisol wall over, (before concreting) its '...strong...' and if the wall stays upright, it ain't OK?

Loss adjuster arrived today. Can I share in the anemometer, please?

Don't tempt me to abuse Admin rights......:P

35 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Alright you lot. That'll do about anemometers. I've had enough of wind recently. If it blows your Durisol wall over, (before concreting) its '...strong...' and if the wall stays upright, it ain't OK?

Don't tempt me to abuse Admin rights......:P

Have this anemometer off of me. You can set an alarm limit, red line sort of thing and sit there cr@pping yourself watching the screen! You can get a relay / alarm module too for an external sounder.

13 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I'd be happy to share in this.

If it works out, perhaps we could set it up on some sort of BH hire scheme. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

My preference is for hot wire anemometer, which I believe to be more accurate and simpler to use in a flower pot than a whirly one.

and to follow the @JSHarris mode of operation.

I see the one that I have specified above comes from China direct so it may take a few weeks.

So thanks @Stones and @OnOff for your kind offers, but not the type that I wanted.

I think I shall order it now and let Royal Mail look after it whilst I am away cycling.

I will contact @Jack @RecoveringAcademic @PeterW in mid Sept and organise terms and

arrange handover, if they are still interested.

That's 32 tons of topsoil spread in 2 days...the shoulders are getting quite used to raking claggy soil all day.