stopcock missing!!!

MaryM

Hi everyone, I've written a lot about my disaster garage job under my 'Hello & Panic' and 'Hello more trouble' threads in the introduce forum, now I've got plumbing trouble - my builder has fixed a sink unit to the wall in front of the mains stoptap, the tap is right down near the floor under the base of the sink unit so you can't reach it.  

I'm going away on holiday on Sunday and writing a list for my emergency keyholder, is there anything I can do so she can get at the tap if she needs to turn the water off while I'm away?

5 minutes ago, Temp said:

Have you got a key for the valve in the road/water meter? Screwfix and Toolstation probably sell them for under £10 but I haven't looked.

just googling and found this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-universal-stopcock-key-36-/71652?tc=UT8&ds_kid=92700022855735527&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_3qmq7t5QIVTbDtCh0eDwx7EAQYASABEgJK3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

would that reach back under the cupboard floor to turn the stoptap off?

Perhaps but if there is a leak why get the key holder to struggle with the stopcock hidden under the sink unit if it's possible to turn the water off outside.

When you get back from holiday perhaps get the builder to improve access to the stopcock by moving it higher up.

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

cut hole in base of sink unit so you can get at it easily from inside the cupboard ?

@scottishjohn  the joiner is on his way to do just that - will do for now then I will read all the other ideas and get it properly sorted when I get back

all the trouble I've had is with the main contractor, the joiner is an angel, and the contractor did the 'design' 

10 hours ago, Temp said:

Perhaps but if there is a leak why get the key holder to struggle with the stopcock hidden under the sink unit if it's possible to turn the water off outside.

When you get back from holiday perhaps get the builder to improve access to the stopcock by moving it higher up.

@Temp I have a meter so it can be turned off outside but it's down a hole, my keyholder is a very practical woman but opening up holes in the rain might be a bit too much