Timber - thinest

Pocster

Ok.

My timber frame is all up and I'm looking at a pocket door (I think that's around 75mm thick) ; then of course you have the stud + plasterboard on top of that.

It's all a bit tight - I'm trying to fit the pocket door in an ensuite and obviously eat into the ensuites width.

My question is can I just use 'chunkier' timber but set it the wrong way round? i.e. so it reduces the width?

Or indeed any other suggestion that allows me to build the thinest possible wall (not load bearing) .  The wall will just be tiled and is predominantly inside a shower enclosure.

I assume there's something out there for exactly this problem.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If it’s tiled it needs to be sound and strong - you cannot have it flex. 

A pocket door will only need 75mm plus then board on either side - they don’t have a stud (or if they do it’s only 20mm thick. 

So you are saying I attach board direct to pocket door frame? - Is that what you mean ? hence no stud required?

+1 No stud required.

The plasterboard screws to the metal pocket door frame using self tapping screws. Think some came with my door kit. Do not replace with longer or over tighten these screws because if they go too far in the sharp points will scratch the door first time you open it.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

Eclisse pocket door frame kits come in two thicknesses 100mm and 125mm. These are the thicknesses of the finished wall not the frame. So for a 100mm thick wall the metal frame supplied is 73mm thick and you use 73mm thick studs elsewhere in the wall (and above the door pocket).

https://www.pocketdoors.co.uk/unique-features/

Wall Thickness -The Eclisse pockets are available in two standard widths for a finished wall thickness of either 100mm or 125mm. The idea is to build the pocket to the same thickness as the studwork – 75mm (3″) or 100mm (4″) which are the two standard studwork sizes generally in use – so that you can directly continue the standard 12.5mm plasterboard over the pocket providing the finished wall thickness of either 100mm (4″) or 125mm (5″). Further layers of plasterboard can be added to increase the overall wall thickness.

• Thanks 1