NjTj

Good morning!

I'm Nick and have been looking seriously for a Scottish plot for about eight years.

We finally bought one in June, got planning and are now in for the building warrant.
I aspired to passive house standard but views (east), the slope of the site (north) and planning (one storey only) mean it will fall a bit short (but not badly).

I'm currently trying to find a small wood burner (insurance against electricity outage and north Atlantic drift switching off) to DIBt standard -  apart from the possible Morso S11 with modifications - I'd be interested to know what smalll stove Joe90 refered to...

How small do you want?

I think the most important thing is being room sealed.

We bought a Mendip Stoves Churchill convection model with log store underneath.  It was chosen for looks rather than anything else.  It is rated at 4.5Kw.  We did look at the little Springdale 3KW stove but SWMBO just thought it was so small it would look silly in a reasonably large room.

One nice thing about the Mendip, is it takes both primary and secondary air from the external inlet duct. Some only take primary air from that and secondary air from the room so not truly room sealed.

In spite of popular belief we don't "overheat" with the stove on.  I think that is largely due to a fairly open layout with a good convection path to the stairwell and upstairs rooms (as long as you leave the door open) and the stove seems to run well at lower levels so less than it's 4.5KW rating a lot of the time.

To choose the stove we simply visited all the retailers in the area to see what they had, and this one was being offered at a knocked down price as ex display and it ticked all the technical requirements, and SWMBO liked it.  It is also the first stove I have had that truly keeps it's glass clear.

Hi @NjTj, I bought and installed this https://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/ACR-Oakdale.html but in buttermilk colour, I highly recomend “stovesonline” they were very helpfull but realise they are a long way from you. I am very pleased with the Oakdale, very controllable , large glass door and clean burning. Despite being told we would “cook” in a passive house when this was lit it has proved ok. We only Light it for a couple of hours on cold evenings and with the lounge door open the heat dissipates round the house. I buried a 100mm pipe under the floor to supply it with air as it’s room sealed.