Stairs

EverHopefull

Hi, I am still in the final design stage of my build and have been working with TF company Scandia. I have prices from them for most elements but strangely not a staircase, amongst other things.

If they have designed the place from the start would they not be the best placed to get a cost for them, seems odd from my newbie perspective. I know it will depend on materials chosen but a basic cost on the premise of a standard material must be possible. I find it frustrating that for such "Kit" homes not to have prices for what is an essential part of the build.

Rant over, just that it took 6 weeks to get figures and then there are these odd gaps that are probably not small figures to now research...

Oh ok, we did originally hope for a full "turn-key" solution but prices were astronomical and turned out wasn't have key walk in still. Since then we have decided to do more ourselves.

I guess the best I can do is get full dimensions from them for the stairs and punt it around to staircase manufacturers.

• 2 months later...
On 15/11/2019 at 08:50, EverHopefull said:

Oh ok, we did originally hope for a full "turn-key" solution but prices were astronomical and turned out wasn't have key walk in still. Since then we have decided to do more ourselves.

I guess the best I can do is get full dimensions from them for the stairs and punt it around to staircase manufacturers.

Not sure if you are still looking but give mrstairs a try.

We used Pear Stairs and found their service very good indeed, and they were a fair bit cheaper than any other oak staircase company who quoted.  The stairs were supplied assembled, except for the newels, hand rail and glass balustrade panels and fitted perfectly first go (much to the surprise of the two joiners who fitted it).

Stairs should really be one of the last things you fit once all other messy trades have left.

Two reasons - 1) you have the final floor finishes in so no risk of screwing up the measurements, 2) no risk of the stairs getting wrecked by trades

We got our TF supplier to fit some temp MDF stairs (with a bit of tweaking, they never quite fit) from the outset and they worked great - I must have taken them off and put back on a dozen times during the build to allow boarding, plastering, painting etc.. - they were pretty knackered at the end but still serviceable. Others here have built temp stair cases themselves or used a scaffolding solution.

I used https://max-stairs.co.uk/ who were good and had some very contemporary styles - we have one 'traditional' oak staircase to basement and then two cantilevered stringless staircases to upper floors - very cool.

Aftercare was a bit hit and miss, they were meant to come back to rectify a final riser in the loft that was not flush with the floor (the floor is out, not their stairs) but I never chased them and TBH it would have been an extra for me & would not be a big deal for a joiner to fix - its on my eternal to do list.

However I'd still recommend them.

• Like 1

We used Stairbox. Still got bits to finish but stairs in and look great. Put them in right at the end. After plastering, painting and tiled floor. Had scaffold stairs for a while and then knocked up some temporary ones with some left over timber.

You really want to hold off putting the stairs in till as late as possible.

We used a joinery firm to make and install the stairs.

We don't have a huge budget but decided to make an investment here.

A cheap stair will get you from A to B but a good stair looks good, feels solid and is nice to touch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

You really want to hold off putting the stairs in till as late as possible.

We used a joinery firm to make and install the stairs.

We don't have a huge budget but decided to make an investment here.

A cheap stair will get you from A to B but a good stair looks good, feels solid and is nice to touch.

Very true, a staircase is the centerpiece of most homes.