An alternative method of grouting.

ProDave

Grouting tiles is a job I hate.  Whenever I have done it, I have always done it what I consider the "normal" way that is to fill the joint accepting some will get onto the face of the tile and you then have to clean that off. Not so bad with glazed tiles but a pain with stone.

Today I was tiling the utility room window sill using up left over slate tiles from doing the floor.  I only had a series of short gaps to grout.  So why not mask them?  I have never seen anyone suggesting the use of masking tape when grouting.  It could be a bit tedious masking all the joints of a large area, but I thought I would try it:

Grout1.thumb.jpg.779573b24d028c07fa9acf0fbdda64df.jpg

Apply the grout, wait for it to go off a bit, smooth the joint then before it is completely dry, peel off the masking tape.

Grout2.thumb.jpg.90eb0c909262285350ee0cdb0cb5e92b.jpg

No scrubbing or removing grout from the face of the tiles.

Has anyone else tried this?  Why is it never mentioned by anyone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Grouting tiles is a job I hate.  Whenever I have done it, I have always done it what I consider the "normal" way that is to fill the joint accepting some will get onto the face of the tile and you then have to clean that off. Not so bad with glazed tiles but a pain with stone.

Today I was tiling the utility room window sill using up left over slate tiles from doing the floor.  I only had a series of short gaps to grout.  So why not mask them?  I have never seen anyone suggesting the use of masking tape when grouting.  It could be a bit tedious masking all the joints of a large area, but I thought I would try it:

Grout1.thumb.jpg.779573b24d028c07fa9acf0fbdda64df.jpg

Apply the grout, wait for it to go off a bit, smooth the joint then before it is completely dry, peel off the masking tape.

Grout2.thumb.jpg.90eb0c909262285350ee0cdb0cb5e92b.jpg

No scrubbing or removing grout from the face of the tiles.

Has anyone else tried this?  Why is it never mentioned by anyone?

That looks great. I did similar on my sisters kitchen, I tiled an area with huge tiles. masked them up, and squirted Silicon in . Smoothed off, peeled the masking, and done.