Planning permission for AC

sw879

Hi everyone

We have recently purchased a property in London and have obtained planning permission for an extension.  We did not think we needed to include an air conditioning unit in our planning application and now Westminster council have said that we do need to apply for planning permission to install one and also prepare an acoustic report (apparently this is standard practice).

From what i've read online i'm rather dubious about whether we need planning permission in the first place.  Our property is a terraced house but we only own the LGF and GF whilst our upstairs neighbour owns the top three floors.  We were planning to put the AC on the roof of our new extension or on the side of the rear wall.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

S

Shame its not an air source heat pump as you can get this under permitted development for a domestic application (see MSC 020), assuming its less than LAeq, 5min 42 dB at the nearest receptor.

In regard to Westminster they are pretty hot on noise, and i have experience of them requesting acoustic assessments, but rather on a load of plant, though a requirement for a singular external condenser unit can happen.

They will be looking for an acoustic report to address the requirements of Westminster's UDP Policy Env 7, see https://www.westminster.gov.uk/unitary-development-plan-udp chapter 9, page 440.

If you have to get an acoustic assessment done, you will need to get someone out to measure background noise levels and provide them with details of the unit you want to install. The acoustic assessment will compare the background noise measured with the predicted noise levels of the condenser at the nearest receptor, and assess against the requirements of UDP Policy Env 7.

Typically an external condenser unit will emit LAeq 52 - 55 dB at one metre.

14 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Shame its not an air source heat pump as you can get this under permitted development for a domestic application

Most air to air A/C units are air source heat pumps...

The permitted development doesn't mandate it has to be air to water, but the problem is it DOES mandate the unit is installed to provide "heating"  only. 

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/27/heat_pumps/2

Leads to the question, does "heating purposes" include DHW?  Either way, clearly A/C for cooling wouldn't qualify.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Shame its not an air source heat pump as you can get this under permitted development for a domestic application (see MSC 020), assuming its less than LAeq, 5min 42 dB at the nearest receptor.

So just fit an ASHP under permitted development then?  As long as you choose one that will do cooling.  If cooling is your only need does it matter that it will never be used for heating?

EDIT: Ignore, just read the post above.

Here is someone who installed AC without getting PP and a neighbour complained after 3.5 years(eg just before the 4 year time limit on enforcement).

https://www.revk.uk/2018/07/air-conditioning-at-home-planning.html

Interesting read. For example...

To my surprise she (the planning officer) came back and said no noise report was needed, but I had to confirm the units met: "Noise resulting from the use of the plant, machinery or equipment hereby approved shall not exceed a level of 5 dB(A) below the existing background noise level (or 10 dB(A) below if there is a particular tonal quality) when measured according to British Standard BS4142: 2014 at the boundary of any adjoining or nearby noise sensitive premises."

Now call me a cynic here, but the only way I can confirm that is by getting a report from a noise consultant.

but he didn't need one in the end.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Ah good old Revk, one of the founders or AA internet and he must have a record for most FOI requests or something.

The conclusion seemed about right in most cases, but if you've already been told by the council you need PP prior to installing, it'd be brave to go ahead and install it without it. 

38 minutes ago, joth said:

If you've already been told by the council you need PP prior to installing, it'd be brave to go ahead and install it without it. 

It will be interesting to know if this is required now to support the application, or will be conditioned for pre commencement.

Could save the OP a bit of hassle and risk of £ spent if it's a pre commencement condition with app granted.

• Like 1

Wow thank you everyone, i'm genuinely surprised at how quickly you were able to give me such detailed and accurate information.  

I think I will look into an air source heat pump and see how it compares with an AC unit.  I don't know if an air source heat pump can pump in cool air as well as hot but I don't think the council will allow it if they say it specifically must be for heat only.

We've been quoted £950 for an acoustic report which to me seems excessive but i'm not an expert and I don't know what is involved. 

Thanks again for your help!

What's the purpose of restricting PD rights for ASHPs to heating only? Is it a general prejudice that cooling is wasteful or is there something more specific? Perhaps that neighbours are more likely to have windows open when cooling is needed and therefore be affected by any noise?