Cool air around double glazed windows

H F

13 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Bummer. Are there any tricks to combat this?

Yes,

Fit the window in to a properly sized opening in an insulated wall and in line with the insulation not in front or behind it. (not always easy in a retrofit)

Foam carefully around the window when it is installed 

put a strip of insulation as a break at the rear of the window board

You can also fit foam backed plasterboard around the opening on the inside part covering the edge of the frame to reduce any bridging.

Edited by Alex C

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You could just take the cill up and have a look.

Is that a little trim at bottom of window on the window board? If so I bet it is hiding a bloody great big hole at the bottom of the frame. You could remove the window board and refit with some thin celotex underneath and a the back edge. Or just put up some heavy curtains.

• Like 1

Basicslly DG fitters of old were on a price so it was bish, bash, bosh as quick as. Surveyors would under measure so the window fell in with no drama. Fitters just covered the huge gaps with trim. No foam or Compriband.

(Check out White Gold on Netflix ? ).

Have a look at what I did wrt my bathroom DG window. Nov 9 onwards. Miles better than it was but I wish I had removed the window and brought it further in. No draught now but the air space can still feel cold near the window.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Have a look at what I did wrt my bathroom DG window. Nov 9 onwards. Miles better than it was but I wish I had removed the window and brought it further in. No draught now but the air space can still feel cold near the window.

I don’t think I’ll be able to move entire windows... there’s just too many. 

After our bathroom is done, I’ll be turning my attention to some of these sills where the draft is more noticeable and seeing how we can draft proof them better.

The work is never ending at the moment, and unnecessary as most of it stems from shoddy workmanship.

6 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

The work is never ending at the moment, and unnecessary as most of it stems from shoddy workmanship.

This is why attention to detail when building gets you much better results than most houses even with the same insulation spec.

• Like 2