CheckList for ASHP self installation

You could do worse than start with these documents: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456656/domestic_ventilation_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

http://www.ncm-pcdb.org.uk/sap/filelibrary/pdf/Check_Lists/MVHR_Installation_Guide_Final_11_02_11.pdf

There are also several "best practice" type guides from MVHR manufacturers/suppliers, such as:

www.nuaire.info/bpguides/BestPracticeInstallationGuide-MVHR.pdf

https://www.bpcventilation.com/media/download_documents/bpc_.installation_of_a_heat_recovery_system_with_unit_info_2016.pdf

• 4 years later...

Morning All,

Re-starting this thread as contemplating going down the DIY install route for my ASHP. The current plans are to go with a Panasonic TCAP with a 50lt buffer tank as per their recommendation (sounds straight forward!). I understand that the G3 kit would need to be signed off annually by a suitably qualified plumber, and I'd need to do my research with regards to regulations around routing and what not, but were there any significant pitfalls in regards to the actual ASHP setup and commissioning. I've gone through the installation manual and can see the numerous options for setting up the control system, but other than that it does appear quite simple? My feed/return from the ASHP will be a short 2m 'above ground' route, which simply runs through an external wall which already has a duct in anticipation, and under the staircase where I'm hoping to site the UVC / buffer tank. I have thought about their DUO pre-plumbed tank which offers a 300l +70l buffer tank in one package, but not sure if this will fit under in the allocated area, and whether this will work out any more cost affect or quicker in the long run.

The supplier of the ASHP is trying to steer me down getting an installer to do it, which I can understand seeing as he'd have greater piece of mind w.r.t. the warranty Has anyone had any good / bad experiences in going down the DIY route please?

I DIY installed my own LG ASHP.

I had some issues with the ASHP but that was not down particularly to the installation so not relevant to this discussion.

I did all the pipework for the UVC then got a local plumber to commision it and sign it off. 

18 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Morning All,

Re-starting this thread as contemplating going down the DIY install route for my ASHP. The current plans are to go with a Panasonic TCAP with a 50lt buffer tank as per their recommendation (sounds straight forward!). I understand that the G3 kit would need to be signed off annually by a suitably qualified plumber, and I'd need to do my research with regards to regulations around routing and what not, but were there any significant pitfalls in regards to the actual ASHP setup and commissioning. I've gone through the installation manual and can see the numerous options for setting up the control system, but other than that it does appear quite simple? My feed/return from the ASHP will be a short 2m 'above ground' route, which simply runs through an external wall which already has a duct in anticipation, and under the staircase where I'm hoping to site the UVC / buffer tank. I have thought about their DUO pre-plumbed tank which offers a 300l +70l buffer tank in one package, but not sure if this will fit under in the allocated area, and whether this will work out any more cost affect or quicker in the long run.

The supplier of the ASHP is trying to steer me down getting an installer to do it, which I can understand seeing as he'd have greater piece of mind w.r.t. the warranty Has anyone had any good / bad experiences in going down the DIY route please?

I have just had my Panasonic 9kw ( not Tcap) fitted before xmas. I had a plumber friend to help with the pipework and I did the rest with help from people on this forum. It was a bit nerve wracking at first as although I have done most things in my build the thought of damaging my ASHP was always at the front of my mind. What i will say is if you follow the pipe layout as per the drawing it is very easy to do. Connect up the wiring as per the diagram, turn it on (everything crossed) and hope it works which in my case it did.

My now new habit is to check with my controller to see how the system is running and check the energy monitor as this is what self builders do!!

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

I DIY installed my own LG ASHP.

I had some issues with the ASHP but that was not down particularly to the installation so not relevant to this discussion.

I did all the pipework for the UVC then got a local plumber to commision it and sign it off. 

Good to hear! Out of curiousity could I ask what sort of issues you came across with the LG...

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I have just had my Panasonic 9kw ( not Tcap) fitted before xmas. I had a plumber friend to help with the pipework and I did the rest with help from people on this forum. It was a bit nerve wracking at first as although I have done most things in my build the thought of damaging my ASHP was always at the front of my mind. What i will say is if you follow the pipe layout as per the drawing it is very easy to do. Connect up the wiring as per the diagram, turn it on (everything crossed) and hope it works which in my case it did.

My now new habit is to check with my controller to see how the system is running and check the energy monitor as this is what self builders do!!

How are you finding the Panasonic? The 9kW version is the same one we are most likely going with. I don't suppose you'd have any pictures of the install by any chance? I intend on following the schematic below...All that data at your finger tips must be tantalising! How was it been performing so far? 

38 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Good to hear! Out of curiousity could I ask what sort of issues you came across with the LG...

Long thread here

Short version, I had trouble getting the water flow rate high enough, I had to fit a second pump to achieve that.

Then I had issues with spurious low flow errors that I don't believe were really that simple.  Read the thread if you are bored.

In fairness mine is an old version and the ones supplied now are quite different with a different controller, so if my suspicion that my unit has a lot of bugs in the hardware / firmware are true, then hopefully they are sorted out with the current versions.  I certainly don't hear of people having issues.

I diy installed mine too (carrier based, kingspan labelled). Simpler system, as it doesn’t really have the control system of most. Just 2 pipes, power and 0v switch. No buffer tank, 3 zones (UFH manifold, radiators upstairs, DHW - UVC), one pump, one filter, some isolation valves... job done. 

@joe90 did his own as well. He has a buffer tank. 

Just now, Gav_P said:

I diy installed mine too (carrier based, kingspan labelled). Simpler system, as it doesn’t really have the control system of most. Just 2 pipes, power and 0v switch. No buffer tank, 3 zones (UFH manifold, radiators upstairs, DHW - UVC), one pump, one filter, some isolation valves... job done. 

@joe90 did his own as well. He has a buffer tank. 

I did have one technical issue - I’m a dunce and needed prodave to fix a pcb that I buggered up by not thinking. 

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

I did have one technical issue - I’m a dunce and needed prodave to fix a pcb that I buggered up by not thinking. 

ha, you’re not the only one, I misread some instructions and blew up my main PCB but managed to get a replacement thanks to someone on this thread finding a supplier in the EU.?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Can you do a DIY installation and qualify for the Renewal Heat Incentive?

Only if you happen to be an MCS certified installer. (Or can find one you can convince to sign off your DIY install. This is tricky, as amongst other things they have to take ownership of the system design for warranty purposes)

18 hours ago, JulianB said:

How are you finding the Panasonic? The 9kW version is the same one we are most likely going with. I don't suppose you'd have any pictures of the install by any chance? I intend on following the schematic below...All that data at your finger tips must be tantalising! How was it been performing so far? 

Really pleased with the Panasonic but then ASHP are new to me so have nothing to compare it with.

It is performing as well as can be expected and our elec usage is pretty low. Yesterday we used 10kw for heat and HW for a 330m2 house. I cannot get over how the slab holds the heat for hours and hours. I know this was meant to happen but when you walk round in bare feet many hours after there has been no heat input and it is still warm is great. 

The controller took some getting used to but now I have got to grips with it.

There are no schematic drawings in your post?

I will post some pics later of the install.

18 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Can you do a DIY installation and qualify for the Renewal Heat Incentive?

No

has to be MCS but they will add £5k to the install price and in a new decent spec build you will never recover the difference with the RHI payments. 

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 09:26, Pete said:

Really pleased with the Panasonic but then ASHP are new to me so have nothing to compare it with.

It is performing as well as can be expected and our elec usage is pretty low. Yesterday we used 10kw for heat and HW for a 330m2 house. I cannot get over how the slab holds the heat for hours and hours. I know this was meant to happen but when you walk round in bare feet many hours after there has been no heat input and it is still warm is great. 

The controller took some getting used to but now I have got to grips with it.

There are no schematic drawings in your post?

I will post some pics later of the install.

Apologies! Schematic below (hopefully)

Panasonic ASHPArrangement.jpg

• Like 1