Permitted devl...

Big Jimbo

If i want to build a shed, art studio etc under PD rules, and want to avoid building regs (trees and deep foundations) I know i can build a floor area of 30sq mt or under. Would you take this as the actual internal floor area, or would you include the thickness of the walls. Thanks gang.

1 hour ago, Sensus said:

It's 'gross internal area'; defined as:

" the aggregate area of every floor in a building or extension, calculated by reference to the finished internal faces of the walls enclosing the area, or if at any point there is no such wall, by reference to the outermost edge of the floor"

In other words, you measure to the inside face of the external walls, but ignore any internal dividing walls.

Be careful of the 'caravan' solution. I've made a lot of money over the years, digging people out of the shit who thought they were being clever and getting one over the authorities by trying to claim the 'caravan' exemption.. There are a very large number of 'ifs' and 'buts' attached to it. I can tell you, for example, that neither a 'shed' nor an 'art studio' use would comply, for a start, just in terms of intended use.

Interesting. So does the "caravan" thing ONLY apply to a portable building used as a residence then?

Slightly grey area I still have the static caravan and the PP allows it to remain as a "garden outbuilding" but NOT for residential use after the house is occupied.  Does that mean it also loses it's BR exemption status?

As I understand it the issue is mobility, and relies on the idea that you don't need planning permission or building control approval to park a vehicle. I've heard of planners asking you to demonstrate the building is able to be moved by actually moving it.

Edited by Temp

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

As I understand it the issue is mobility, and relies on the idea that you don't need planning permission or building control approval to park a vehicle. I've heard of planners asking you to demonstrate the building is able to be moved by actually moving it.

Separate issues.  You need planning permission for a residential caravan but you don't need building regs for it.

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Slightly grey area I still have the static caravan and the PP allows it to remain as a "garden outbuilding" but NOT for residential use after the house is occupied.  Does that mean it also loses it's BR exemption status?

What's the exact wording? I suspect it says "not for separate residential use". It should be possible to use it for some residential uses.

Edited by Temp

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

What's the exact wording? I suspect it says "not for separate residential use". It should be possible to use it for some residential uses.

The standard wording is they grant temporary PP for the static van with the condition it must be removed upon occupation of the house.

I did not want that.  Where the 'van was going was alongside the house and not in front of the building line.  So I pointed out that on the day of completion I could remove the 'van and immediately replace it with an identical one in an identical position as a permitted development garden outbuilding.

Their response was to ammend the condition to state that "residential use of the caravan shall cease upon occupation of the house.

What they are trying to avoid is the 'van being let as a holiday home or similar, or creating 2 dwellings.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Their response was to ammend the condition to state that "residential use of the caravan shall cease upon occupation of the house.

Doesn't that preclude other residential uses such as a hobby room or home office? 

Just now, Temp said:

Doesn't that preclude other residential uses such as a hobby room or home office? 

It's not going to.

I think their intention was pretty clear, not to allow it to claim residential status of any sort as a separate unit.