Approach to Temporary Works for Steel Beam Installation

HaloThree

I've approached a structural engineer with a view to hiring him to produce the structural calcs and designs for an open-plan rear single storey extension.

I have attached a sketch which illustrates the proposed steel works.

Before progressing I'm keen to get some feedback on the feasibility of installation, specifically the beam that spans the width of the property. Most of the installers I've spoken to want calcs and designs before engaging in conversation.

My question is around the feasibility of opening up the wall marked in blue (see link to animation below) to allow for the beam to be located into place. The house is a 2 storey solid-brick 1910 semi.

All examples of temporary works that utilise needle beams appear to be spaced ~1m apart which would seem problematic to manoeuvre the beam in place. Their are neighbouring properties either side of the site. 

Does anyone see a feasible way to do this or do I need to work to alter the design?

Thanks,

HT

Link to beam installation animation: https://gfycat.com/lastdarlingicelandgull

Screenshot_20191113-070958.png2059588286_Screenshot2019-11-13at12_57_57.thumb.png.f365b2bac831673fc60ed4b1cd9f6d14.png

Edited by HaloThree

Welcome to the forum.

Lot of work there. SE might think it's too ambitious?

The beam spanning the width would most likely have to be made in two parts with a joint to get it in. The beam running front to back extends out beyond the back wall. So could be inserted from the rear of the house. 

It's possible the SE will advise this leaving piers and/or putting vertical steel posts under the ends of the beams. That's because all the load from upstairs is focused on the ends of the beams. Padstones help spread the load but they aren't always enough.  Can depend on the condition of the existing walls. Edit - Looks like you are expecting this.

Looks like you plan to remove a chimney breast in the living room which may also need a beam to support the bit left above. Using gallows brackets might be possible but personally I hate the idea. Imagine two neighbours who both use gallows brackets - they leave the chimney balanced on a narrow wall. Shudder.

Think the Party Wall Act would apply both sides if the beams go into the wall - so need neighbours agreement to stop it getting expensive. 

Edited by Temp

Doesn’t look a problem 

it just depends if you know what to expect, that to me looks like a whole house remodel, so you will loose the use of all those rooms for a good while, you will be in complete chaos don’t even think you can just move the sofa while they put the steels in, you will be living in one room at the front living on takeaway food and washing up in the bath. 

Been there done it many times. 

You need to work out if the beams will be visible at ceiling height or will they get hidden i the ceiling void, expect additional foundations under the columns supporting the beams, so floors will get dug up. 954D82BE-8663-4354-8CB2-56A4340533EA.thumb.png.473c734da1320cac2b812a5614569ad9.png

this is the sort of disruption to expect. 

Quick fag packet and I think you will struggle with that. 

The one you want to put in place from the animation I reckon will end up as a 457x152, and at around 64kg/m that is a half tonne steel. It will also protrude significantly into the room below as your new flat roof will preclude lifting it upward. 

The remaining steels will be a mix of 356 or 406

depth, again making it all very deep and very heavy to maneuver - there is about 5 tonnes of steel in that design. 

I would consider a pillar / column inserted where the 4 steels come together - it will reduce the sizes substantially and also make it comparatively easier to manage the insertions.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...