Life changing decision

GreenBlood

Hi, I’m posting here to introduce myself.

Im a mid 30s agricultural engineer and I’ve Bought cerca 1500c falling down grade 2 listed building, timber frame with brick infil .

It’s taken 3 yrs to get the planning through for what we wanted which was a basically an extension over the existing garage and an over roof to retain the old rafters.

i decided about two weeks ago to leave my  job to perform the task of pretty much top to bottom renovation due to the enormous amount of labour required.

It’s a huge project and I’ve built a couple of extensions in the past on my tod so I’m feeling I’m fairly experienced to say the least. The last one was pretty much knock into half the main house and extend another half out. 

But this is a different beast and I’m going all in to be full time on this one.

i wondered if anyone out there has done the same as me. I’ve got a 3 month notice to work and I wondered if there was anyone that might give me any recommendation as to what I should do with VAT etc. 

is there any benefit of registering anywhere for HMRC as a self builder? probably not as I did read that I’d then be working commercially and not as a self builder, but what are the benefits?

I’ve done some checking and there isn’t any way we can claim self build vat relief as it’s already existing and since we have had it for 3 years there’s no way of claiming VAT relief on a listed building as we’d need of completed before the first year of owning to be entitled to claim.

The job notice that I need to work will put me at the end of Jan. I’ve plans to turn the barn next to the house in to a make shift workshop and I’ll be able to knock some bricks out and inspect timber before then waiting until March until it’s warm enough for lime bricking back.

Anyway that’s the bulk of it. 

like I said is there anyone out there like me or do you all think I’m totally bonkers.

cheers

36 minutes ago, GreenBlood said:

do you all think I’m totally bonkers.

hell no ??? though i'm not a registered psychiatrist, but you must be close. that's sounds like quite a project, how much work does the falling down grade 2 need?

welcome to the forum of those with varying degrees of lunacy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

hell no ??? though i'm not a registered psychiatrist, but you must be close. that's sounds like quite a project, how much work does the falling down grade 2 need?

welcome to the forum of those with varying degrees of lunacy.

Well I’ve been quoted 12-18 months by a builder so I’m hoping for somewhere near that. I have the advantage that I’ll be there from 8 till 6 rather than 8 till 4 ish with 3 hrs break for lunch while no body is there.

2 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

@scottishjohn, just read the particulars - 'and has good road networks to Ayrshire, Glasgow and beyond.' don't know how that truth was stretched without breaking unless they mean, drive along the a75 to the m74 then drive to glasgow and south to ayrshire.

thats estate agents for you 

but if iwas going from here to glasgow iwould  not go back to dumfries but via girvan or new galloway +dalmellington  to ayr then u p the a77 to m77

every road you use round here its a mile a minute --we don,t have traffic-just open roads and nice scenery-to glasgow airport form here is under 2hrs and thats 90miles anyway 

Edited by scottishjohn

On 13/11/2019 at 00:11, scottishjohn said:

round here its a mile a minute --we don,t have traffic-just open roads and nice scenery-

unless you get caught behind the usual sunday driver doing 40mph or tractor and very few places to overtake, lovely road to drive but not if you're in a hurry

40 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

unless you get caught behind the usual sunday driver doing 40mph or tractor and very few places to overtake, lovely road to drive but not if you're in a hurry

Sounds like the A82 in the summer (motor caravans)  or most of the roads in mid Wales at any time of year (twin cab pickup incapable of more than 40mph)

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

You lot have no real idea what holiday driving is like.

the lack of traffic and the scenery were the main reasons to move here close to 40 years ago ,getting out of manchester 

and to be honest the traffic whilst  a little more now is nothing like any city 

i just couldn,t be bothered with city traffic - would never move back too many people from too many places I have no interest in 

living in the  multi cultural world that cities are  is not for me 

If i wanted that i would have emmigrated to  some far off country 

no one says hello or smiles at you  in the cities now  ,they just glare

here everybody says hello even if they never met you before  when passing on  the street 

To put tourism into perspective, Cornwall has 5 million tourists a year.  That is the population of Scotland moving in, mostly in August.

They also don't go into the middle bit much, but tend to go to the coastal towns, so that is two small ribbons.

They old locals complain bitterly about the traffic, but it is nothing compared to my old commute from Aylesbury to Richmond was like, 20 years ago.

The biggest problem I find is that emmets get confused easily, so when they are not sure what they are doing, they do something stupid.

emmet car.jpg

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

don't you find that gets tiring.

might be if there were 2000 people in the street or it was mile away to find FREE parking ,

we don,t even have traffic wardens --so feel free to park on yellow lines 

chillax  man -- life is good 

better watch it  - I,m sounding like a tree hugger

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

might be if there were 2000 people in the street

I go walking a lot, generally, the people that say hello, are the holiday makers.

The Cornish are an insular bunch, they tend to shout rather than talk normally "Right on my Hanzum".

Free parking is an interesting one.  There is loads of free parking in Penzance, luckily, most people use the car parks.  But, and I think this is because there is free parking, people park very badly.  Just yesterday there was a car taking up 3 spaces, and this is not unusual.  Not 20 feet from it was another car taking up 2 spaces. So where you can park 9 cars, 5 were parked.

Our traffic wardens are bastards, I have had more tickets down here than anywhere else.  Usual for minor things like staying 12 minutes too long on my ticket, not realising that next to the main car park is a private car park, not realising that the road was part of the car park.  Very bad signage.

And holiday makers park alongside the life boys, stops anyone using them.  I did watch someone spend ages getting into a very tight space.  He knew I found it amusing that he had made a hash of it.  Waited until his family had got out, then pointed out that it was no parking because of the lifebelt.  His reply 'there is no effing water in the harbour'.

He did reluctantly move his car.

parking.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

To put tourism into perspective, Cornwall has 5 million tourists a year.  That is the population of Scotland moving in, mostly in August.

ssshhh --we are quite happy that most tourists  coming to scotalnd just keep on going up the motorway past glasgow ,before they even think they are in scotland

a very much forgotten and beautiful area --it si changing --but not as quick  as i thought it would when i came here  40 years ago 

now its beginning to move and plots /house prices are moving up ,even in this terrible climate .

yes there have been english folk that moved up 20 years ago -- panicked and sold to move back across the border  with INDREF ,expecting prices to slump and less are running away  now  has brexit came along .,as many new ones coming in  

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

inundated in August with tourists

Do you see much difference in traffic on your actual road in summer. I have a decrease as the schools are shut.

To put it into perspective, the extra traffic cost me an hour a week. My commute to work is unaffected.

And I live less than 2 miles from Cornwall's second greatest visitored attraction.