Supporting the stairs where it lands

Roz

Our stairs are going to come up and finish somewhere around the red line in this picture. Once I have figured out where exactly they will come up, what do I need to put here to support them and how do I fix it? 

The oak beams are 150mm x 150mm, but only 50mm will end up showing. So can do a 80-90mm deep softwood here and end up plastering over it, but dont know what to fix it with or how wide it should be.

Thanks thanks thanks! p.s sorry if this is the wrong area for this post

75576600_1519914354818256_5293937969919426560_n.jpg

Edited by Roz

You need a double trimmer across. You could fix it using joist hangers or you could house it into the oak joist and hang from the wall joist. You can then infill the rest with another short joist to carry whatever flooring you are using.

This is only a very general answer as without knowing what finishes you are having where it's hard to give a definitive reply.

1 minute ago, RichS said:

You need a double trimmer across. You could fix it using joist hangers or you could house it into the oak joist and hang from the wall joist. You can then infill the rest with another short joist to carry whatever flooring you are using.

This is only a very general answer as without knowing what finishes you are having where it's hard to give a definitive reply.

Hi Rich, thanks - what is a double trimmer??

We've got caberfloor going on top of these joists, and then engineered oak glued ontop of that.. eventually

A double trimmer is just two pieces of floor joist cut  to size and fixed between what you have there. Do you have a piece of the oak left?. At 150 x 150 you could use that, house it into the existing floor joist and knock a hole in the stone wall to carry the other end.

Why is that floor joist on the wall continuing right along the wall??, surely this is going to be the stairwell.

Edited by RichS
typo

Just now, RichS said:

A double trimmer is just to pieces of floor joist cut  to size and fixed between what you have there. Do you have a piece of the oak left?. At 150 x 150 you could use that, house it into the existing floor joist and knock a hole in the stone wall to carry the other end.

Why is that floor joist on the wall continuing right along the wall??, surely this is going to be the stairwell.

We don't have any oak long enough unfortunately, so thought it might be cheaper to use regular timber. Do I just put together two 2 inch thick pieces? I have some hangers leftover from another area ofthe project so perhaps could use them if they don't show up too much.

That's a wall plate, but I'm not totally sure what the point of it is as nothing hanging on it except whatever we put in for the stairs. We didn't put the wall plate or oak joists in, a builder did, but he's gone now. He might have done it just to make sure he was getting the wall plate level all the way around.

Personally I would purchase another short piece of 150 x 150mm oak to match what you have there. I'm assuming the stairwell is approx 900mm wide so a piece of oak at approx 1100mm would allow you to house it into the existing 50mm and then give a wall bearing of 150mm. This would go where you have drawn the red line and the "wallplate" would not be required beyond that point (assuming the stairwell is open up to a wall which is beyond the photo shot)

The bottom 50mm of the trimmer would also be left exposed into the room below to match what you already have.

Edited by RichS

11 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

@Roz, i'm trying to understand the reason for the 150x150 oak, if the underside is seen, then the wallplate will be seen as well and won't match? if you use joist hangers they will be seen on the underside, housing the trimmers in would be neater.

Hi Simon, 

The wallplate will get covered up with insulation so no bother on that side. We have used concealed hangers everywhere else but I'm not sure on my ability to get them lined up right with cutting bits out so might need to get someone to do this for me! 

Do you mean the reason for the oak in general? It was partly a visual thing, trying to inject some character back into this barn which was basically just walls!