Zoot's Extention- progress.

zoothorn

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep just leave a small ish gap so it doesn’t touch the felt. But would be using Rockwool everywhere including in then brick cavity. 

If the whole house is twin skin brick (and not solid) you can get a grant to get blown in insulation. Will only cost you £2/300 I expect to have the whole house done. 

I had a salesman come 2 yrs ago, put a camera in wall even up his ladder > in 1st floor brick walls (odd as I can't see any evidence of even 1cm of insulation @ the brick courses, in the tunnel area) & said "no grant possible/ 1cm of insulation/ have to say 'insulated' on the form".. summink to that effect. He showed me the paltry 1cm insulation within the rear kitchen extention walls. But didn't ask me up ladder of course to see anything within the 1st floor addition walls.

But, his Co did add more loft insulation at a reduced rate (making no discernable difference to me, to the bedrooms, or the kitchen which has a loft above tho!). I assume a grant of some description used here.

On 22/11/2019 at 17:10, PeterW said:

Yep just leave a small ish gap so it doesn’t touch the felt. But would be using Rockwool everywhere including in then brick cavity. 

If the whole house is twin skin brick (and not solid) you can get a grant to get blown in insulation. Will only cost you £2/300 I expect to have the whole house done. 

Hi Peter- just mulling this blow-in idea which Ive heard the principle of before. My builder says not a good idea as it negates the cavity I think his reasoning was, possible damp etc.. & suggested undo pB's & line with rigid. I understand rigid is the 'best' way, & your suggestion the most cost effective way (why I think you mentioned it).. what's your thinking on the down-side to your blow-in-cavity idea?

The pB I have all upstairs, seems super hard, not slightly soft like modern stuff. It also is well braced behind with extra vertical batons & cross- braces (it seems to me). If it is stronger/ harder than a modern pB inner skin.. is it conceivable instead of blowing in xyz into the brick cavity (which is only 50mm), I could blow this stuff into the void between pB & inner brick course instead?

• Like 1