Zoot's Extention- progress.

zoothorn

1 minute ago, PeterStarck said:

I can't see the problem. It's a total of 2150-920=1230mm difference. 600mm each side or the whole 1230mm on one side. It can still be blocked up without ties or put some noggins in the frame and tie onto those if necessary.

Bugger sorry. 1150mm. (Did I say 2150?? I HATE mm's.. I'm a cabinet maker using inches 365 days/ year you see).

Block window opening 1150mm. This is made. Lintel is on. All blockwork is completed now. Its has dpc behind (in the cavity) corresponding with the 1150mm W x 950mm H opening. Behind this is the Timber Frame wall.. like a blank/ as its opening not been made yet.

1150 opening. I want 920mm = 230mm difference to make up.. on one side only.

52 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Please don't assume xyz & pick at me. Wrong.

I am not picking on you, as an experienced builder I always went full plans as if the planners/building control want  xyz it will be noticed at the planning stage and once passed the BCO can’t change it. Your lack of window would have been pointed out before you started work and if the planners passed it without, then that is what you are entitled to build. I have made no assumptions and if you remember I posted a long time ago that I believed full plans were better than building notice.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2

The lower window. You can see its made, plus, there's a corresponding dpc frame behind: now I just remember 1st a 3x2 tannalised frame attatched to the silver face of the inner course, where the dpc 'frame' is: the 3x2 placement was determined by  (& therefore now I know why the opening is this wide) the vertical studs behind/ in the room/ of the inner course T Frame.

If I could take more pics I would- my slr cam now tho is effectively broken, & I do not do phone camera things. So I can only describe.

001.JPG

002.JPG

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I am not picking on you, as an experienced builder I always went full plans as if the planners/building control want  xyz it will be noticed at the planning stage and once passed the BCO can’t change it. Your lack of window would have been pointed out before you started work and if the planners passed it without, then that is what you are entitled to build. I have made no assumptions and if you remember I posted a long time ago that I believed full plans were better than building notice.

As I said Joe, the BCO saw my plans prior to starting. He has been on the build as its progressed checking. He did not mention the (lack of) window. I asked him before the build started about the lower room & no window: it wouldn't have been his choice.. but said ok.

The window inclusion is nothing to do with Regs. Its a trade-off that he says he wants me to have -IF- I  only have 50mm insulation under floor + 22 chipboard he's agreed to. Not only this trade-off, but he tells me I have to go 140mm celotex in all walls too. I also think he wants me to put it in because he knows the house value will not be as full as with it (it can be made into a lounge room type thing with a window, in the future/ on sale of the house etc is his thinking.. cannot without).

A building notice is still WAAAAY better than full plans for this build: this window Q is a trifle in the big picture.

Edited by zoothorn

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

You’re not making sense.....

So there is a 2150mm hole in the outer blockwork with matching hole in the timber frame ..?

And you want to reduce to 950mm..??

So thats blockwork needed in each side, then leave the middle open. 

Same on the inside with timber frame 

Yes I can see why you say this now. I just made -one- typo, in the post before. I wrote 2150mm, it should have said 1150mm.

The gap to fill though I did say consistantly as being (call it) ~250mm.

Ok nevermind about the window- I'll ask on windows/ doors section.

What is the opinion of this: on the itemised estimate for groundworks, it says 'supply 100mm floor insulation'. No mention of 'screed' or anything ontop. A bit odd as the list goes:

• excavating xyz
  • founds
  • block up to dpc
  • level off slab area
  • hardcore/ compact
  • dpm
  • cast 100mm concrete base
  • supply 100mm insulation

Ok assuming this list is A) in work/ commencing order, and B) its a typical way 'groundwork' is made..

No floor is mentioned. Or is it? Id always assumed the 100mm concrete base was the "screed" top, the floor (I'd never heard of the word 'screed' in my life until midway thru the build). Is the 100mm concrete base.. the slab?

Right. A tentative Q but as clear as I can possibly be: can anyone confirm a 100mm layer is typically -below- the insulation (& possibly -after- the dpm) & maybe the "slab"?

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So I know why your BCO wants 1150... they will need a window that opens min 500 for fire egress I expect. 

Actually not so: I asked this question to the BCO. No egress window needed. I asked him can I go narrower/ yes (or tbh I'd not be asking on here how to do it).

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

The window inclusion is nothing to do with Regs.

It must be otherwise it would be sitting outside of the BCO's remit.

I also think he wants me to put it in because he knows the house value will not be as full as with it

That will have nothing to do with it. The BCO has no interest in such matters.

Stop making assumptions and just ask him why he wants it putting in.

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

It must be otherwise it would be sitting outside of the BCO's remit.

That will have nothing to do with it. The BCO has no interest in such matters.

Stop making assumptions and just ask him why he wants it putting in.

Erm.. the whole design's actually what the BCO advised me to go for! he had my very interest in mind when he advised me: so your assumption is entirely incorrect. I on the other hand, have made no assumptions just given facts by word of mouth only 24hrs ago by this very BCO. I have had so many assumptions that a whole thread was hijacked by them, completely losing the plot of what I was asking, & folks ganged together & sniped as a result (& thoughrally nasty PM messages to me too). So I gave up that thread.

I'm just asking about reducing the width of a window block opening. I got two photos up of it. And just asking about my floor (& the itemised estimate I was given, which I am not used to the details of). Twop simple things & If anyone can help on either- I'd be grateful.

Thanks, zoot

Don’t change the window - you don’t need to as you’re creating problems you don’t need

Ask the builder where the insulation is - he’s the only one who knows, so if he can’t tell you then no-one can. 

Both problems answered. 

Is there a reason you don’t like this window, surely natural light in a workshop is good. 

You will have major noise issues with the door, a window will not make it much worse, why not build some shutters that can be pulled closed when you do noisy stuff, I would also build shutters over the door to stop noise as well. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Don’t change the window - you don’t need to as you’re creating problems you don’t need

Ask the builder where the insulation is - he’s the only one who knows, so if he can’t tell you then no-one can. 

Both problems answered. 

I've already changed the window/ told builder. Its WAY too big Peter the glass would be 950mm wide. The whole design's meant to blend in with the old orig house: this has two small downstairs windows next to it: so Ive decided 920mm gap (meaning 620mm glass).

I'm not asking where the insulation is. I know where it is, its in Jewsons shed. Its not put in yet. It was only given the green light 24hrs ago by the BCO @ 50mm.

What I'm asking is about my itemised list for 'groundwork'. Specifically, I'm asking about the "100mm concrete base": if its a typical modern groundwork & you can see as much by the list I've given, then you would know what this "100mm concrete base" is likely to be. Any of you would. But I have no idea. Is it typically A) the floor above the insulation, or B) something below the insulation.

What is typical to find in a modern build, A or B?

Edited by zoothorn

Both methods of slab location are common. In either case you would expect a smooth and perfectly level screed layer to go on as well, and it'd be not unusual for the builder to expect others to do that if he's only building you a shell. The plans would normally clarify your construction details and from that enable you to agree who's doing what. 

Edited by MJNewton

Your builder quoted you for 100mm insulation but the bco has agreed to 50mm , so in that case you can assume  ( check with builder) the insulation didn't go under the 100mm slab . In that case you have a little leverage  in the quote he's given you  due to the reduced cost of floor insulation. 

23 hours ago, zoothorn said:

What is typical to find in a modern build, A or B?

B is most common. Slab under insulation, screed on top.

A might be more common for builders on this forum though since there are some advantages to well insulated slabs with under floor heating in the slab.

Ok thanks for last replies re. my slab > 50mm c'tex > top. So as I thought, & @PeterW says 100mm has gone down/ & the itemised list is in order of build. I find it very odd, now I realise the 100mm concrete is -not- the top/ screed as I originally thought it to be, that no floor is in the list then.

Is this typical? its like me quoting for an amp cabinet, listing all the components.. but leaving off the 4 cabinet feet. Its just weirdly incomplete.

Ok ..

On 16/11/2019 at 01:05, Danny68 said:

Your builder quoted you for 100mm insulation but the bco has agreed to 50mm , so in that case you can assume  ( check with builder) the insulation didn't go under the 100mm slab . In that case you have a little leverage  in the quote he's given you  due to the reduced cost of floor insulation. 

yes agreed now I know the insulation is -not- down yet, thanks DAnny68. Understand I have some leverage (Iwas wondering this too) on half the quoted insulation thickness. Is 100mm twice the cost of 50mm? if so & knowing its pricey stuff now, & we agreed 22mm floor to go on (tho not on the itemised quote.. odd) would it be reasonable to ask for the floor included then?

17 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks for last replies re. my slab > 50mm c'tex > top. So as I thought, & @PeterW says 100mm has gone down/ & the itemised list is in order of build. I find it very odd, now I realise the 100mm concrete is -not- the top/ screed as I originally thought it to be, that no floor is in the list then.

Is this typical? its like me quoting for an amp cabinet, listing all the components.. but leaving off the 4 cabinet feet. Its just weirdly incomplete.

If, as mentioned previously, he is just building you a shell then yes it is entirely normal. The screed can be vulnerable to damage from subsequent trades and so it is quite common to do it later on to minimise this and so if you are doing the 'later on' bits it'd fall to you. Again though it all depends on the plans and what has been agreed up front. I had a builder build me a shell and whilst the plans from the architect showed a finished screed we agreed in advance that I would take responsibility for it as there was other internal work that required doing before that layer could be added so he just did his bits (slab over insulation in my case).

Edited by MJNewton

4 minutes ago, jfb said:

A 2 minute look at a few websites or a call to a builders yard would give you the answer. Please do so. 

I can't or I'd have done so. You cannot see the damn prices on jewson's site/ you have to call for some fkn reason & its a sunday here, maybe its still sat AM with you? Hence why I asked. but you'd know.. bc you have the knowledge that I don't.. but don't answer/ help/ just aggrevate instead. FFS.

9 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

If, as mentioned previously, he is just building you a shell then yes it is entirely normal. The screed can be vulnerable to damage from subsequent trades and so it is quite common to do it later on to minimise this and so if you are doing the 'later on' bits it'd fall to you. Again though it all depends on the plans and what has been agreed up front.

Hi MJN.. he's building a shell yes, but within the 'groundwork' section the celotex ontop of the 100mm concete. Does that not seem slightly/ oddly incomplete to you? to me its deliberately 'leave that off he'll never realise/ gives me a bargaining chip twds end of the build'.