To nog or not to nog...

gwebstech

Hi all

Ive just laid some 22mm p5 grade chipboard over timber joists, 400mm centres, glued and screwed. Im reading conflicting info about whether i need to nog where the board edges are not on a joist?

ive been told that if id cut every board to fit on a joist that would have been ideal, sounds obvious now but it my first time and ive dropped a clanger not doing that : (

as far as i can see NHBC standards say all short edges should be nogged

Anyone had direct experience of this?

thanks

Can unsupported joins be a cause for eventual squeeking/creeking? I am sure that's what happened above our lounge as, with the ceiling down, that appears to be the case in a couple of places. I haven't retrofitted some noggins yet but I am expecting (hoping) they will cure it once both boards are screwed down to it. 

56 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Can unsupported joins be a cause for eventual squeeking/creeking? I am sure that's what happened above our lounge as, with the ceiling down, that appears to be the case in a couple of places. I haven't retrofitted some noggins yet but I am expecting (hoping) they will cure it once both boards are screwed down to it. 

Not if everything is glued together and that includes the boards to the joists. 

I always land short ends on joints. Lmow another chippy who was made to go and not underneath with some h section shape nogs by labc warranty. Learn from others mistakes. Probably nessecary and probably be fine but not hard to do