Critique my plan as I'm #confused.

You've been such a help to me so far with my big dreams little house - these are my outline approved plans. We have a start date for Jan. Whoop whoop! BUT - I'm so confused about the external doors/windows for downstairs. I'd really appreciate some views apart from mine. 

For the ground floor bedroom I had planned to have a set of double doors -  the architect has added in a middle window thinking I might need to have a window open and not a door but I'm not keen on that look at all & now wondering whether to convert the doors to a normal window. 

In the living area - I'm happy with all one space - the kitchen installed will not be L shaped but just along the back wall in one line. I'm wobbling with regard to the doors in there too. I didn't see the value of bi-folds but I did want to see as much of the garden as possible. I was hoping to achieve a nice look with having the doors on the south facing side (the bigger set) being as close to the other set of doors to gain sun from the west but also look a bit smart - but now I'm questioning my judgement & wondering if its all a bit too bonkers. Again I think there might be a need to open windows instead of doors due to the kitchen being in the same room. 

Any other ideas would be gratefully received. I've put the upstairs plan on too - at least I'm happy with the windows up there! 

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 15.07.52.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 15.08.13.png

43 minutes ago, simplepimple said:

For the ground floor bedroom I had planned to have a set of double doors -  the architect has added in a middle window thinking I might need to have a window open and not a door but I'm not keen on that look at all & now wondering whether to convert the doors to a normal window. 

It looks like the doors are quite narrow in the kitchen. At 1810mm opening I would have two doors only. We have a 1650mm opening in our kitchen with a pair of doors. They are tilt and turn though, so can be windows or doors.

Edited by PeterStarck

ProDave's is good & will look great with the balcony. 

The cupboards won't be on that side so I could consider a small window there - cupboards likely to be the other side possibly with a small area taken off to create a 'fireplace' in the lounge next door if I decide to have a log burner eventually. Can't do this now as cost is key. 

I've attached the elevations. 

Thank you so much for your responses - it really helps me sift through possibilities. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 17.15.20.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 17.15.03.png

I see & appreciate your OCD Sensus. ?   I can be particular about some things and perhaps less so about others - though I would want both sets of french doors on the west side to be the same size - and not as the current plans show.   Furniture placement is an issue as the living area is not huge but if I do have doors that gives me problems then with radiators - perhaps normal windows will be best. (and probably cheaper) 

Bear in mind that outward opening French doors a prone to being blown about by the wind.  The handle operated friction brakes are OK good but often seem to operate only on the main leaf.  Sliding, folding and tilt/turn could be alternatives.

I would change the small pair of doors in the living room to a window similar dims to the one in the first floor bedroom.

Btw can you request to change the upstairs bathroom door so it opens inwards as it will be a pain as drawn.

I would move that bathroom door towards the storeroom, and have it opening inwards towards the wall, which would leave you one useable corner by the web rather than two small corners. You might even get a separate shower in too.

That 1360 French Window seems too narrow; your clear opening will only be 2ft for one door open which will annoy .. I inherited one and it is a pita. I would consider a normal width door or slightly wider plus a side panel of glass. Should also save 300-500 ukp.

F

Mr P - Ferdy & Pro D 

Thank you all for your invaluable input. Might it not be as big as we think though due to the shallow roof pitch?  If I was building for profit (haha - these days!) I might consider creating two beds upstairs but it wouldn't have got through planning. (they were adamant that it would only have 2 beds & the perhaps the downstairs space probably wouldn't support what would be needed for a 3 bed) 

I totally agree with regard to the bath & store room - not sure why he did it like that - perhaps he loves lots of storage?!  It's likely I will incorporate some of the store room into the bathroom and site the bath beneath the sloping ceiling.

Window is looking more likely instead of the second set of doors in the lounge - I don't really want the window centred in the room as it won't allow me options of moving my sofa about. (So sorry Sensus!) I mean I love a bit of symmetry...... but ability to change the room around trumps it for me. There is no need for a door to be there but I did think that seeing more of the garden might make the lounge seem bigger - and also I love the sunshine.