Looking for suggestions on how best to support void behind joist hangers

Digmixfill

I'm going to have to start putting in joist hangers soon. Most of the walls where they need to go are new block, so just placing them in as the wall grows is nice and easy.

I have one wall that runs across the building that used to be a large opening. Aeons ago when this thing was built a pair of old railway lines were probably the thing to use, so that's what is in place. I've blocked up under the opening with 215mm aircrete blocks which fit under the lines nicely. The brickwork above is some 235-240mm wide and overhangs the lines.

Where i need to fit the hangers for 215-225mm joists leaves the hangers unsupported over the void in the sides of the lines.

Attached pictures hopefully give a decent indication of what I've got to play with.

So far I've come up with:

Drill and bolt through with a timber wall plate either side with extra timber into the line void.

Weld lumps of steel into the line void behind each hanger.

Thin piece of timber into the void for the length of the line.

There is a doorway above the line too, which will probably need saddle hangers if I don't go with a wall plate.

Any other ideas on how to deal with this?

depth.of.hanger.jpg

into.rwline.jpg

to.new.blocks.jpg

4 hours ago, Digmixfill said:

[...] I'd probably have to split the wall plate into at least two parts [...]

I thought that. Until our sparky showed me that it'd (for us) be easier and quicker to put a continuous wall plate in first, and then drill through as required or, if necessary cut it.

We spaced the attachments (thunderbolts and sometimes threaded bar) accordingly. That worked well for us.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

[...]

Pack it with shims made from 3mm ply.  

Oh how useful a bag of those is!  And another bag with wedges of different sizes. 

I feel like taking a few of them with me when we eat out - beats shimming or wedging the restaurant table with folded  paper napkins dunnit?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Oh how useful a bag of those is!  And another bag with wedges of different sizes. 

I feel like taking a few of them with me when we eat out - beats shimming or wedging the restaurant table with folded  paper napkins dunnit?

If it is a restaurant take a mini saw and trim the others instead. Permanent fix.

Paddington Bear Rules.

16 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I thought that. Until our sparky showed me that it'd (for us) be easier and quicker to put a continuous wall plate in first, and then drill through as required or, if necessary cut it.

We spaced the attachments (thunderbolts and sometimes threaded bar) accordingly. That worked well for us.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Another vote here for wall plate and resin bolts. Pack it with shims made from 3mm ply.  

The wall in the pictures needs hangers both sides. I've considered wall plates either side with a length of M12 studding through the wall in each joist space.

Any preferences for individual studding for each side rather than bolting through?

The opposite wall will need the studding resin fitted.

13 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If it is a restaurant take a mini saw and trim the others instead. Permanent fix.

Paddington Bear Rules.

I bet you're banned from local restaurants now?

6 hours ago, Digmixfill said:

[...]

The wall in the pictures needs hangers both sides. I've considered wall plates either side with a length of M12 studding through the wall in each joist space.

[...]

Thats exactly  what we did. 

Because of the build sequence, sometimes that wasn't possible (because of lack of experience on my part).

17 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thats exactly  what we did. 

Because of the build sequence, sometimes that wasn't possible (because of lack of experience on my part).

Did you find that the wall plates locked up easily against the walls with little movement, or did you have to swing on the nuts to lock everything up tight?