Burnt black wooden cladding

DarrenA

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on burnt wooden cladding. It came up on a design TV program repeat I was watching yesterday and I'm wondering if it might be more unusual and longer lasting that black painted wood or the engineered painted wood like thermopine.

I'm thinking about buying it preburnt from somewhere like carbonbydesign.co.uk rather than DIY charring. 

It's not 'burnt' and it's not exactly 'wood' but we've used a wood/plastic composite cladding from Envirobuild. 

It's not far off being black and, we think, looks pretty sharp. It's also a good 'wood' imposter.

IMG_6325.JPG

Edited by Russdl
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Russdl said:

It's not 'burnt' and it's not exactly 'wood' but we've used a wood/plastic composite cladding from Envirobuild. 

It's not far off being black and, we think, looks pretty sharp. It's also a good 'wood' imposter.

IMG_6325.JPG

It looks great, I assume it is holding up well? My main criteria is something that looks sharp and keeps its looks maintenance free. 

I looked in to this but a supplier talked me out of it as he said the charring all washes off over time unless it is regularly oiled. To prove the point he sent me to look at some jobs they had supplied a couple of years earlier and they looked total crap. 

2 hours ago, Sensus said:

I quite like shou sugi ban, both aesthetically and practically .

If you're relying on it to improve surface spread of flame under the Building Regulations, talk to building control first - many BCO's won't accept it as offering any advantage (it does, but in fairness it depends on how heavy the charring is, and so is difficult to quantify).

It certainly sounds better in Japanese ?

No I'm not looking for the fireproofing properties. I'm looking for a dark black solution that doesn't fade or need maintaining. 

3 minutes ago, Alex C said:

I looked in to this but a supplier talked me out of it as he said the charring all washes off over time unless it is regularly oiled. To prove the point he sent me to look at some jobs they had supplied a couple of years earlier and they looked total crap. 

Thank you, that's very useful. Sounds like another no go. 

9 minutes ago, DarrenA said:

It looks great, I assume it is holding up well?

Well, it's very early days yet as it's only been up around 2 months. It should be virtually maintenance free and stay looking sharp for umpteen years. I'll have to let you know in umpteen years if that is indeed the case.

Big fan, but has it's problem's...

Forbuilding regs, the fire proofing qualities don't count, so you'll have to treat it after the charring. Even then ours wouldn't accept it against B4 at all.

The price is also very high. We were quoted about £80-120/m2. Quite dear indeed. Our pre-painted and treated came in at 70m2, but thankfully we only needed that for one elevation, so managed to keep it below £25 and 50/m2 for the majority of our elevation depending on whether it was painted or not.

I can also imagine the tongue and groove to be an issue with it being warped by fire, so may suggest a different profile (just suspected, can't verify!)

I'm pretty sold (well unsold) by Alex's comment so am off charred wood and back on the painted/artificial wood route now. 

Just to be clear, the huge price difference at yours was purely down to whether it was fire proofed or not? I like the look of yours and suspect we'll not need the additional fire proofing as there are no timber frame buildings nearby. 

If you're within 6 meters of a boundary you'll need to demonstrate a percentage of fire resistance for each elevation. That percentage area that needs to be resistant is dependent on the distance of each individual elevation, staring at 100% and reducing to zero past 6m. Masonry, brick and metals count as resistant off the bat, but wood is tricky.

Check out diagram 22, p48 in the domestic B4 building regs for these percentages.

If you're planning on cladding just the front and rear elevations you should be fine. If it is the sides of your building you're cladding then be careful as I know the plots are fairly close together around the Cresent.

The costs I listed were for different treatments across my various elevations to try and save money where possible:

£25/m² - Natural larch (£3.10/m)

- Fire treatment - extra £25/m² (£3.60/m)

- Painted - extra £25/m² (£3.50/m)

The paint was more expensive than normal due to it having to work with the fire treated.

P.s. just as well, I hadn't twigged in my last post that you had Premier too; they don't acknowledge any form of treatment on charred wood to make it fire resistant, even if you use HR Prof or similar solutions. The charring process seals the wood and makes it difficult to absorb the treatment. Also none of the BBA certs for the treatments have included charred wood in their tests, so again hard to prove it'd work. :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Visti said:

The price is also very high. We were quoted about £80-120/m2. Quite dear.

I steared away from it for exactly the same reasons many others mention. I think Its great, but just so much work to do it yourself and of you buy it, you easily looking at 100£/sqm for decent quality. In theory it's amazing, but so are many other things if you take price out of the equation.

This Riba winner from 2018 was originally burned larch but it had nearly all washed off by the time it entered the competition and now just looks streaky grey. It actually looks pretty good but I think you would be dissapointed if you spent a fortune on black timber and ended up with this.

https://www.architecture.com/knowledge-and-resources/knowledge-landing-page/house-of-the-year-winner-2018

• Haha 1