Creaking and Crackling Floor/Ceiling noises

daiking

Hi guys - I have a re

On 20/10/2016 at 15:34, daiking said:

Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon and how to stop it? When someone walks on the first floor there are loud snapping/cracking noises downstairs. I have high confidence it is not the floor creaking as I filled that up in with hundreds of screws and sounds vey different and is heard mainly downstairs not upstairs The problem is described here:

http://forum.snagging.org/snagging-requests-for-help/2332-creaking-ceilings-getting-nowhere-nhbc.html

It alludes to something to do with the way the joists are supported but a poster remains very cryptic about the solution.

the floor joists are hung from hangers off a wall plate on one side and sit in masonry pockets at the other end. It is the joist hanger end that seems to generate the noise. I think the joist hangers are mounted to a wall plate that is bolted into a steel beam web.

I have a really similar problem but in a converted property. Guy upstairs did works and now excessive cracking and popping downstairs. Plus some nails are edging out of my ceiling due to the works upstairs - but I don't think the noise is this as it's so loud. Any idea what I can do? Anyone had luck with noggins? Or should I first try screwing in my ceiling? There's a lot of unwrapped pipework in the floor I know - could be that it's knocking on stuff? It's a nightmare and sometime 70db loud(!). Tried legal route to no avail. Have low ceilings in part so can't build down too much (maybe 4cm) but don't think false ceiling will hide such loud noise. .....any suggestions so welcome- thank you! (have attached a recording)

14 nov 2019.mp3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2021 at 16:00, aforbes said:

Hi guys - I have a re

I have a really similar problem but in a converted property. Guy upstairs did works and now excessive cracking and popping downstairs. Plus some nails are edging out of my ceiling due to the works upstairs - but I don't think the noise is this as it's so loud. Any idea what I can do? Anyone had luck with noggins? Or should I first try screwing in my ceiling? There's a lot of unwrapped pipework in the floor I know - could be that it's knocking on stuff? It's a nightmare and sometime 70db loud(!). Tried legal route to no avail. Have low ceilings in part so can't build down too much (maybe 4cm) but don't think false ceiling will hide such loud noise. .....any suggestions so welcome- thank you! (have attached a recording)

14 nov 2019.mp3 528.05 kB · 2 downloads

Sorry, our noise is not that bad in the grand scheme of things so we’ve just put up with it!

The bit of ceiling still needs completely replacing, one day…

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you ever fix this? We have exactly the same problem. Have now completely exposed the sub floor, reset/tightened joist/noggins, added insulation, glued and screwed new tongue and groove floor. Problem still there - noise from above floor improved - no underlay or carpet on yet but small creaking. However, in the room underneath still loud crack and creaking at various points when someone walks above. We think it must be the ceiling and are now thinking of either getting it all down or potentially putting new boards and skimming but screwing in to joists from underneath but reluctant to keep throwing money at it…..