Home Farm

Floating duck house design

Recommended Posts

I want to build a floating duck house for our mallard family that reside on our pond. I’m struggling to find any decent designs.

 

Also what is the most environmentally friendly and eco means of making them float. 
 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Mallards have the ability to fload on their own. Empty plastic pop bottles with the tops screwed on should do the trick of keeping the house afloat. Make sure you post pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got it. Do an exact mini copy of your house. I once did it for a dog kennel. They loved it so much, they got me to do another for the pool changing room.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

an old inner tube with structure on top --blow up as required to get height correct#

the obvious is to  recyle some polystrene packaging for your floatation  or  1 or 5 gallon plastic drums

 don not forget you will need an anchor or it will end up at the bank of the pond when wind blows

Edited by scottishjohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

I think the Mallards have the ability to fload on their own. Empty plastic pop bottles with the tops screwed on should do the trick of keeping the house afloat. Make sure you post pics


I was thinking empty bottles. I’m going to make the house from reclaimed pallets. Once I have the weight, I’ll think about buoyancy.

 

will post pics and a video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Home Farm said:


I was thinking empty bottles. I’m going to make the house from reclaimed pallets. Once I have the weight, I’ll think about buoyancy.

 

will post pics and a video.

pallets will not last long in water 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

an old inner tube with structure on top --blow up as required to get height correct#

the obvious is to  recyle some polystrene packaging for your floatation  or  1 or 5 gallon plastic drums

 don not forget you will need an anchor or it will end up at the bank of the pond when wind blows


Good floating suggestions too.

 

Anchoring is a must, as wind will push them to the edges. Last year, 9 of the 12 chicks didn’t make it because their nest in the reeds wasn’t secure. So we will anchor the house to make sure they’ll be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

pallets will not last long in water 


Even if I varnish/treat them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Home Farm said:


Good floating suggestions too.

 

Anchoring is a must, as wind will push them to the edges. Last year, 9 of the 12 chicks didn’t make it because their nest in the reeds wasn’t secure. So we will anchor the house to make sure they’ll be safe.

still won,t be safe from mr mink --but fox won,t get them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was the foxes that got them last year. As soon as they started venturing off the pond they were nabbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Home Farm said:


Even if I varnish/treat them?

varnish +eco ?

5gallon with hole in it ?and cover in something -but cheap +nasty wood and water -not convinced --how bnig is going to be ?enough space for them to sit about outside the house ?

4ft square? -bigger  really 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Highlander, there can be only one.

 

parliamentary-duckhouse.jpg.2a76e6748b2f44273b00a06db21535f9.jpg

 

An MP might have one going cheap .. er .. quack.

 

Though the rumour is the ducks boycotted it.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5357568/MPs-expenses-Sir-Peter-Viggers-claimed-for-1600-floating-duck-island.html

 

As it happens I am a distant acquaintance of the Deputy Duck Warden in the village of Foolow in Derbyshire, who does the work. The Head Duck Warden is (if still standing), Lady Morris of Castle Morris, who is the widow of Lord Morris of Castle Morris - a member of the House of Lords who bought Foolow Manor to "decline and die in". He has now declined and died.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you got any herons?--they love ducklings


Yes, there was one last year. Pissed me off as we introduced fish to the pond. Not sure how many he got in the end. 

Edited by Home Farm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

varnish +eco ?

5gallon with hole in it ?and cover in something -but cheap +nasty wood and water -not convinced --how bnig is going to be ?enough space for them to sit about outside the house ?

4ft square? -bigger  really 


not sure on the size yet. Only started thinking about it today. But it’ll have to be big enough for two adults and a dozen chicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Home Farm said:


Yes, there was one year. Pissed me off as we introduced fish to the pond. Not sure how many he got in the end. 

he will  my guess 

 best way to stop heron is make it deep at edge ,so no where for him to stand --but no perfect solutuion other than the obvious,but that is illegal 

 its gone crazy now 

 penalty for killing a buzzard --which is not endangered by any means  is £4000 fine and up to  2years in jail

 

 

Edited by scottishjohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Like Highlander, there can be only one.

 

parliamentary-duckhouse.jpg.2a76e6748b2f44273b00a06db21535f9.jpg

 

An MP might have one going cheap .. er .. quack.

 

Though the rumour is the ducks boycotted it.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5357568/MPs-expenses-Sir-Peter-Viggers-claimed-for-1600-floating-duck-island.html


He did his on the cheap. I have a far greater budget set aside for this 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

he will  my guess 

 

 I hope note. Hopefully won’t wade in too deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Home Farm said:


He did his on the cheap. I have a far greater budget set aside for this 😀

 

I think his cost our taxes £1645.

 

I get 2 sheds for that. But it keeps needing repairing.

 

Can I swing by and get Hoisin Nicked Dick and Poached (in both senses) trout?

 

I have never done duck, but dad had a flock one year and said they were far harder to ring-neck than geese.

 

If you get into Turkeys there was once a demonstration in an interview with a US Vice-Presidential Candidate.

 

 

 

Edited by Ferdinand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Can't wait for the vid.

 Lol. My spotted a male 🦆 on the pond today. It was supposed to be an early next year project. It’s been moved forward. Fast tracked for the new family!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ferdinand said:

 

I think his cost our taxes £1645.

 

I get 2 sheds for that. But it keeps needing repairing.

 

 
It’s absurd what these guys try to get away with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If pallet wood is a no go, is treated timber the next option?

 

Is boat/marine varnish eco-ish? Does it sweep off the wood?

 

Since I hope to make my house hover-float, there should be minimal water contact from the base. Is it the rain and damp that would damage the pallet wood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

have never done duck, but dad had a flock one year and said they were far harder to ring-neck than geese.

 
When we were down south, friends of ours went hunting and gave us two mallards. We plucked and butchered them. A lot of work. There was hardly any meat on them - the meat was incredibly rich. 
 

We will just have ours for viewing pleasure - the chicks were super cute 57222959-3F13-4911-BCCC-D36981E0189C.thumb.jpeg.d31bb47422ca1e54874f3a300f71ca86.jpegand feasted on the mosquitos.

Edited by Home Farm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now