Floating duck house design

I want to build a floating duck house for our mallard family that reside on our pond. I’m struggling to find any decent designs.

Also what is the most environmentally friendly and eco means of making them float. 

Thanks in advance.

an old inner tube with structure on top --blow up as required to get height correct#

the obvious is to  recyle some polystrene packaging for your floatation  or  1 or 5 gallon plastic drums

don not forget you will need an anchor or it will end up at the bank of the pond when wind blows

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

I think the Mallards have the ability to fload on their own. Empty plastic pop bottles with the tops screwed on should do the trick of keeping the house afloat. Make sure you post pics

I was thinking empty bottles. I’m going to make the house from reclaimed pallets. Once I have the weight, I’ll think about buoyancy.

will post pics and a video.

21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

an old inner tube with structure on top --blow up as required to get height correct#

the obvious is to  recyle some polystrene packaging for your floatation  or  1 or 5 gallon plastic drums

don not forget you will need an anchor or it will end up at the bank of the pond when wind blows

Good floating suggestions too.

Anchoring is a must, as wind will push them to the edges. Last year, 9 of the 12 chicks didn’t make it because their nest in the reeds wasn’t secure. So we will anchor the house to make sure they’ll be safe.

1 minute ago, Home Farm said:

Good floating suggestions too.

Anchoring is a must, as wind will push them to the edges. Last year, 9 of the 12 chicks didn’t make it because their nest in the reeds wasn’t secure. So we will anchor the house to make sure they’ll be safe.

still won,t be safe from mr mink --but fox won,t get them 

1 minute ago, Home Farm said:

Even if I varnish/treat them?

varnish +eco ?

5gallon with hole in it ?and cover in something -but cheap +nasty wood and water -not convinced --how bnig is going to be ?enough space for them to sit about outside the house ?

4ft square? -bigger  really 

Like Highlander, there can be only one.

parliamentary-duckhouse.jpg.2a76e6748b2f44273b00a06db21535f9.jpg

An MP might have one going cheap .. er .. quack.

Though the rumour is the ducks boycotted it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5357568/MPs-expenses-Sir-Peter-Viggers-claimed-for-1600-floating-duck-island.html

As it happens I am a distant acquaintance of the Deputy Duck Warden in the village of Foolow in Derbyshire, who does the work. The Head Duck Warden is (if still standing), Lady Morris of Castle Morris, who is the widow of Lord Morris of Castle Morris - a member of the House of Lords who bought Foolow Manor to "decline and die in". He has now declined and died.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you got any herons?--they love ducklings

Yes, there was one last year. Pissed me off as we introduced fish to the pond. Not sure how many he got in the end. 

Edited by Home Farm

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

varnish +eco ?

5gallon with hole in it ?and cover in something -but cheap +nasty wood and water -not convinced --how bnig is going to be ?enough space for them to sit about outside the house ?

4ft square? -bigger  really 

not sure on the size yet. Only started thinking about it today. But it’ll have to be big enough for two adults and a dozen chicks.

2 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Yes, there was one year. Pissed me off as we introduced fish to the pond. Not sure how many he got in the end. 

he will  my guess 

best way to stop heron is make it deep at edge ,so no where for him to stand --but no perfect solutuion other than the obvious,but that is illegal 

its gone crazy now 

penalty for killing a buzzard --which is not endangered by any means  is £4000 fine and up to  2years in jail

Edited by scottishjohn

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Like Highlander, there can be only one.

parliamentary-duckhouse.jpg.2a76e6748b2f44273b00a06db21535f9.jpg

An MP might have one going cheap .. er .. quack.

Though the rumour is the ducks boycotted it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5357568/MPs-expenses-Sir-Peter-Viggers-claimed-for-1600-floating-duck-island.html

He did his on the cheap. I have a far greater budget set aside for this ?

5 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

He did his on the cheap. I have a far greater budget set aside for this ?

I think his cost our taxes £1645.

I get 2 sheds for that. But it keeps needing repairing.

Can I swing by and get Hoisin Nicked Dick and Poached (in both senses) trout?

I have never done duck, but dad had a flock one year and said they were far harder to ring-neck than geese.

If you get into Turkeys there was once a demonstration in an interview with a US Vice-Presidential Candidate.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Can't wait for the vid.

Lol. My spotted a male ? on the pond today. It was supposed to be an early next year project. It’s been moved forward. Fast tracked for the new family!

If pallet wood is a no go, is treated timber the next option?

Is boat/marine varnish eco-ish? Does it sweep off the wood?

Since I hope to make my house hover-float, there should be minimal water contact from the base. Is it the rain and damp that would damage the pallet wood?

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

have never done duck, but dad had a flock one year and said they were far harder to ring-neck than geese.

When we were down south, friends of ours went hunting and gave us two mallards. We plucked and butchered them. A lot of work. There was hardly any meat on them - the meat was incredibly rich. 

We will just have ours for viewing pleasure - the chicks were super cute 57222959-3F13-4911-BCCC-D36981E0189C.thumb.jpeg.d31bb47422ca1e54874f3a300f71ca86.jpegand feasted on the mosquitos.

Edited by Home Farm