Noobie bricklaying question, I am from Australia... Need help

Hi guys, 

I am from Australia, here we use 5 parts sand to 1 part cement to make mortar. 

I have come across cromar liquid motor tone, and have no idea how much to use. I have 12 x1L bottles.

Can anyone provide recommendations on how to use liquid mortar tone for charcoal colour? 

All I can suggest is some small test batches,gauging the quantities in something small which can be multiplied when you find the right amount (I use a coffee cup for the s&c & then count how many cups fill a bucket to give a multiplier.)

I don’t know the product you mention but I will say that you need to allow your testers to cure completely to see the true colour. 
I had problems on a job a few years ago where we used black powder to achieve black mortar. When it was on the boards,you wouldn’t have thought the gear could be any more black but I got a call back a few weeks later,as it had toned down to a greyish colour. 

1 hour ago, Alz112 said:

[...]

Can anyone provide recommendations on how to use liquid mortar tone for charcoal colour? 

Welcome.

I'm no brickie, but looking at your post, may I offer a small word of advice since you come from one of the hottest places on earth?

At this time of year, consider  covering your work with a bit of plastic or hessian or something (your auntie's shawl would work too) overnight....?

But you knew that dint' cha? I'll get me coat.

Thanks guys really appreciate it, all very helpful. I'm not a bricklayer by trade but am familiar with the way to lay bricks. I might have to hire someone to test them for me, link that was sent is for powdered mortar tone not the liquid mortar tone.  

One thing which I read was to use "up to 1 litre per litre of gauging water" 

This was on ever build websites, I'm using cromar product which can't be that different. 

I'm not understanding what up to 1 litre per litre of gauging water. I've spoken to a brick layer here, they use per mix about 30 litres, surely this can't be right, to use 30x 1L liquid mortar tone  in one standard wheelbarrow mix? (120 - 130 bricks) 

209-Liquid-Mortar-Tone-V1.1.pdf

The key is the 'upto' statement, so up to 1:1 with water depending on desired colour. You can always lay the bricks in uncoloured mortar then rake the joints out and point up with coloured at the end or another day to use less.

• Like 1

Yes that is a concern, we will be trialling out. I guess I wanted to know anyone that has used the product before, as 30 x 1L seems like a lot to use for a wheel Barrow mix. How many litres of water would y'all say you use for a typical wheelbarrow mix? Roughly