LED Circuits: Dim, Dimmer, Dimmest: or just dumb?

ToughButterCup

Reading this section of the site, I'm sold on the idea of dimmable LEDs. 

We're thinking of dimming some LED strips, and a good few LED GU10s.  Maybe my brain's too full of dripping roofs, stolen favourite tools  and First Fixation circuitry: but where does the dimming actually occur?

In an LED GU10 circuit, the bulbs need to be dimmable. But what about the driver / transformer? Does that need dimmability too?  

Do the same rules apply to LED Strip dimmers?

And has anyone seen a Scolmore Click Mode  Module dimmer switch - you know, the type that'll fit in a grid together with other switches?

6 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I remember hearing somewhere they need to be fire rated if below bedrooms.

But I'm sure someone will know the actual rules

Typically a single two-storey domestic residence is one 'fire zone' and thus does not require fire rated lights downstairs. If your house can have open stairs and doors without automatic closers then its one fire zone. Taller buildings, flats etc may well require fire rated fittings. Hth.

Edited by Dee J
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dee J said:

Typically a single two-storey domestic residence is one 'fire zone' and thus does not require fire rated lights downstairs. If your house can have open stairs and doors without automatic closers then its one fire zone. Taller buildings, flats etc may well require fire rated fittings. Hth.

I have been told in the past by NHBC to limit the number of downlights or use fire rated ones as it may otherwise compromise the structure of the floor above.

filedownload,84608,en.pdf

10 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Sheeeeet . I didn't know I was sticking my  [... ] in a hornets nest .

Mismatching the minimum load rating of the dimmer switch vs the total LED wattage is a common mistake.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

First the lamps must be dimable.  Then the switch must be compatible with LED's, sometimes described as a "leading edge" dimmer.  There is no transformer with GU10's

I thought trailing edge dimmers were better for LEDs?

10 hours ago, Temp said:

I thought trailing edge dimmers were better for LEDs?

Trailing edge for capacitive loads as in LV trannies full of "electronics" and drivers for LEDs. The dimmers themselves have more gubbins in them. (Because of the higher component count one could argue more to go wrong).

Leading edge for inductive & resistive loads. They rely on chunky TRIACS, DIACS etc. A resistive load for example a good old fashioned incandescent or halogen "bulb". Leading edge dimmers really only for higher wattage stuff so they don't like the lower power requirements of LED stuff. An inductive load being say a motor.

As for Click Mode bits do you mean these?

https://www.click4electrics.co.uk/click-mini-grid-modules-dimmers-c-328_518_713/