What is the cheapest insulation material by volume?

The material I am looking for will not be incorporated into the final structure of my house. The insulation performance of the material is not relevant, the criteria are light and bulky. I intend to make a linear sausage with a diameter of 400mm and will need at least 100 linear meters of this sausage.

Someone has suggested straw bales, I would consider bubble wrap or packing beads though in the case of beads if the wrapper fails during a winter storm the result would be an eco disaster for the village downwind of my plot.

Loft insulation works out at £15 m3 and I would need = 13 m3 I think for my 100m long sausage.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Is this to wrap the bottom of the static van ..??

No the intention is to keep frost off my footing walls. The B&B floor is in and the outer wall blocks are a block plus a bit lower. Outside of the outer foot wall is a muddy trench about a boot wide. A strong cavity fill comes to 20mm below the outer blocks.

The blocks are 19Kg heavies so pretty weather resistant but my building inspector has vaguely mentioned his concern about a full winter of exposure. Straw bales were his suggestion but I don't want to create a high class winter residence for local rodents. 

I can point you to a couple of new builds up here that have been built up to slab level (no doubt to "start" and lock in the PP) and then been left like that for several years and a few Highland winters, with no ill effects.

Celcons are supposed to be good at freeze thaw but anyway I'd be worried about op building inspector. Do you think it's like their equivalent of the "long weight" or left handed screwdriver. They get back to the office and say get on this tony guess what I've got this geezer doing on one of my rounds 

• Haha 2

Whilst I am also with the sceptics, gardeners protecting plants use far less bulky type insulation.

The glass lids of cold frames, for example. Farmers use stuff that is like strong clingfilm over seed trenches.

What about bubblewrap if you do do it ... or indeed Hessian sacking or just membrane?