Bathroom renovation

Shah

Hello All,

I am looking to renovate main bathroom and toilet downstairs. The aim is to add a shower in both of them and make them wet rooms. We will no longer put a bath in. Wall hung toilet and washbasins for both and tiling for floors and walls. 

I have been looking into Grohe for the toilet and washbasin sets (wall hung) and not sure about all the other bits i.e. shower tray/tray former, showers, tiles (most of tiles I have looked are rating at R9 which are not good for shower floors; not sure what to do), glass screens etc. 

Any idea on how much does it cost in labour?

Thanks,

Shah.

If doing a wet room without any screens then don't underestimate the distance water will spray from the shower. (Especially with kids who don't clean up after themselves!)

2019-09-08_03-01-14

20190626_205015

I haven't got a former, instead I laid the floor to falls. Tbh the fall area could have been 1 tile bigger. Current area is approx. 1400 x 1400. No real issue at the moment to squeegee the floor & kick the towel round the floor. When we get older though and can't bend/balance...who knows!

2019-10-16_06-08-41

@Ferdinand saviour!! Just what I needed. 

@Onoff There will be screen so hopefully less mess.

Any recommendation on the tray former (wedi, impey etc?). Any ideas on extraction fan as downstairs toilet shower won't have a window so don't want it to be steamed/damp after use?

wedi does this top ready to fit surface. Has anyone used it? 

https://www.justwedi.co.uk/fundo-top-ready-to-fit-surfaces/wedi-fundo-plano-top-central-anthracite-1200x900mm.html

Upstairs shower will be enter at the end so was thinking of 1.4m for screen. Could increase that to 1.7m. Downstairs it will be 3 walls and screen at the entrance so will be closed totally. Any recommendation for where to buy these screens? Thanks a lot  

1 minute ago, Shah said:

Upstairs shower will be enter at the end so was thinking of 1.4m for screen. Could increase that to 1.7m. Downstairs it will be 3 walls and screen at the entrance so will be closed totally. Any recommendation for where to buy these screens? Thanks a lot  

I was going off @Nickfromwales's numbers.

F

And think carefully about the surface of your floor tiles.

I would argue matt not gloss, but think carefully before going to "textured" ie non-slip as they are significantly more painful to keep clean. The second bathroom I have done this year is matt, but I needed non-slip for my frail mum downstairs for the first one.

Get whole tile samples and put scrubbed in mud on them then work out how you will clean it.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

would argue matt not gloss, but think carefully before going to "textured" ie non-slip as they are significantly more painful to keep clean.

This has been painful to decide. I would certainly go with matt finish but finding a tile which is non-slip and easy to clean is proving very difficult. Hence I started looking at alternatives. if the shower tray top like wedi can be used for the shower area and a matt immediately on tiles where one could dry feet to keep the slipping hazard to minimum...? 

Right. Read through your blog @Ferdinand very helpful information.

I have almost finalised on tiles, shower screens. 

I have been looking at the following but probably looking for help to find a cheaper solution:

I quite like the Grohe Fresh retrofit solution.

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/grohe-solido-euro-arena-complete-wall-hung-suite-600mm-basin-cosmo-smart-tap?campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5-mwhqna5QIVF-DtCh3ZNwqIEAQYBCABEgJwM_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As I need to get two sets so costs will add up quickly. Any other recommendations appreciated.

Also any pointers for getting a thermostatic shower? anything to look out for and what is better concealed or not concealed?

Thanks,

Shah.

Is the upstairs bathroom a wet room or does it have a shower tray like you have on the ground floor? if wet room then same tiles used where the shower will be?

Thanks. 

Edited by Shah

1 hour ago, Shah said:

Is the upstairs bathroom a wet room or does it have a shower tray like you have on the ground floor? if wet room then same tiles used where the shower will be?

Thanks. 

Upstairs is also a shower tray, but set at 20mm proud of the floor.

The shower wall tiles were already there, and previously the shower screen went right across the alcove; I turned the end panel through 90 degrees to make room for a bath.

Here is a video. Really needs the sound muting.

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks @Onoff So far so good.

Got a quote back from a builder and £2500 per bathroom. This include stripping the old bathroom out, re-plastering, tiling to the wall and floor tiling with wet room (waterproofing etc), installing shower, wall-hung toilet and basin. Does that sound reasonable (London area).

Thanks,