Wireless switching

vfrdave

I have just moved in to the new place and everything is a bit crazy.  However the kitchen lights are doing my head in already, we have got the switching wrong.

I have a 4 gang switch with redundant switches, can I use a redundant switch to switch another light wirelessly? Almost like the quinetic stuff but I need some sort of transmitter to work with an existing switch.

45 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

I have a 4 gang switch with redundant switches, can I use a redundant switch to switch another light wirelessly? Almost like the quinetic stuff but I need some sort of transmitter to work with an existing switch.

yes ... who’s plate is it..?? Quinetic do a matching grid switch you can mix and match between wireless switches and grid switches. 

Replace the current plate entirely with a 4 gang grid plate either MK Logic or Varilight Powergrid. Fit 3 conventional grid switches and one matching Quinetic wireless grid switch, all either MK or Varilight.

Use a Quinetic receiver on this other light you want to control.

There is this but it's a faff when compared to the Quinetic solution plus you might need a deeper back box.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMEST1.html?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Easily swapped though. What brand ..?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Or are you looking to put a transmitter in the back box to utilise one of the existing switches ..? 

I believe spark used esr sline faceplates, I guess whatever his merchant supplies.

I would prefer to put a transmitter in the back box.

Edited by vfrdave
Auto correct

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2019 at 11:17, Onoff said:

Varilight Powergrid 4 gang white grid:

vl1.JPG.34684161de3c33239de0a021a0a301c7.JPG

MK:

mk1.JPG.9783c85a0adffda78b2761b26d2fa9c4.JPG

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=quinetic+grid+switch&Submit=Search

I was going to go down this route but have now discovered I have no neutral in the backbox.

Light fittings not easily accessible either in a vaulted ceiling.

Erm...going back to your first post you had a 4 gang switch with one spare. You wanted to use the spare way to switch another light?

Pick a make, MK or Varilight.

Buy a 4 gang face plate.

For this other light you want to switch put in a wireless grid switch. No wires on the back, nothing to connect, just clip it in (this is an MK one):

QUGDMK.jpeg.c1a0e03f11a090483ab7aea96c67ba23.jpeg

Then for this new light you want to switch, you site a Quinetic receiver in the L & N supply to it. The receiver can be up in the ceiling or anywhere else. Nowhere you can jump in? Something like this. It literally jumps into the L&N going to the light. This is a standard receiver or you can use a dimming one. (The little white wire is the aerial):

QUR301.jpeg.037c85283dc2d60d4b6a79ffc8a87149.jpeg

Pair them up and when you press the switch above the light goes on or off.

That leaves 3 existing switches. These are the ones wired in. Replace them with "traditional" MK grid switches, like one of these depending on whether it's 1 or 2 way:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/A_White_All/Grid_System/Grid_System_3/index.html

So all switches match but one is wireless and paired with the remote receiver. 

So why the worry over the lack of neutral in the back box?

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Erm...going back to your first post you had a 4 gang switch with one spare. You wanted to use the spare way to switch another light?

Pick a make, MK or Varilight.

Buy a 4 gang face plate.

For this other light you want to switch put in a wireless grid switch. No wires on the back, nothing to connect, just clip it in (this is an MK one):

QUGDMK.jpeg.c1a0e03f11a090483ab7aea96c67ba23.jpeg

Then for this new light you want to switch, you site a Quinetic receiver in the L & N supply to it. The receiver can be up in the ceiling or anywhere else. Nowhere you can jump in? Something like this. It literally jumps into the L&N going to the light. This is a standard receiver or you can use a dimming one. (The little white wire is the aerial):

QUR301.jpeg.037c85283dc2d60d4b6a79ffc8a87149.jpeg

Pair them up and when you press the switch above the light goes on or off.

That leaves 3 existing switches. These are the ones wired in. Replace them with "traditional" MK grid switches, like one of these depending on whether it's 1 or 2 way:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/A_White_All/Grid_System/Grid_System_3/index.html

So all switches match but one is wireless and paired with the remote receiver. 

So why the worry over the lack of neutral in the back box?

The plan was to put the receiver in the deep back box behind the actual light switch for the one I wished to switch, but I have no neutral there.

Lights are all in a vaulted ceiling with no accessible cabling that would allow me to secreet a receiver.

1 hour ago, vfrdave said:

The plan was to put the receiver in the deep back box behind the actual light switch for the one I wished to switch, but I have no neutral there.

Lights are all in a vaulted ceiling with no accessible cabling that would allow me to secreet a receiver.

The light you wish to switch...is it fitted already, currently switched some other way etc? Could you "break into" a feed line by fitting another light (or dummy vent etc) thus creating an access aperture to poke the receiver in? 

• 5 months later...