Natural Slate Roof - Looking for recommendations

colin7777

We have to use natural slate as part of agreed planning condition, it will be a timber frame one and three quarter height building. The roof pitch is 30 degrees and the area to be tiled is 12 metres by 6 metres.

Noticed that slate prices vary drastically and also there are many sizes of slates available.

Looking for recommendations as to tiles to use, best size of tiles and hopefully at a reasonable price.

Welcome comments as to if you only get what you pay for and what problems do the low price slates tiles come with.  Are the online 'warehouse' type supplier anygood or can people recommend suppliers.

Thanks

Colin

34 minutes ago, colin7777 said:

We have to use natural slate as part of agreed planning condition, it will be a timber frame one and three quarter height building. The roof pitch is 30 degrees and the area to be tiled is 12 metres by 6 metres.

Noticed that slate prices vary drastically and also there are many sizes of slates available.

Looking for recommendations as to tiles to use, best size of tiles and hopefully at a reasonable price.

Welcome comments as to if you only get what you pay for and what problems do the low price slates tiles come with.  Are the online 'warehouse' type supplier anygood or can people recommend suppliers.

Thanks

Colin

We had same conditions 

Welsh would have been our first choice

But a good compromise was 

grade 1 Spanish 

Ive a friend who sells large quantities of slate 

She earned me off Chinese & Brazilian 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

now you sure yuo have to use natural slate  or something that has the look of it --there are many products now you could not tell the difference from the ground .but price is totally dif 

We tried that one 

Ours needed a cert saying grade 1 slate 

They even objected to us not using local slate 

Another vote for a decent quality Spanish slate here. I can't remember which one exactly without digging out the paperwork but I sourced a slate from SSQ through a local roofing merchant Rinus.

SSQ sent some samples out and the rep came to see me and once they had calculated quantities I ordered through Rinus.