Hello....

davidk

Hi guys, thought it was about time I introduced myself after lurking in the background for the last few months absorbing as much information as I can.

By way of background, I’m based on the outskirts of Belfast and been granted planning permission for a single storey flat roof extension to the side and rear of our property which will give us a new kitchen, some open plan living/dining and a utility room/garden store. We’ve employed the services of an architect to get us to building control approval stage but I’m questioning the value of taking his services forward after that. 

The current plan of action is once we have building control drawings and then use my wife’s QS contacts (they’re doing the work for really reasonable rates) from her old job in a Planning Consultancy and ask them the pull together a detailed specification and BOQ which will allow us to know exactly what we require when going to builders for quotes, the QS has also said they’ll evaluate the quotes to make sure we’re getting value for money. 

Does this sound about right to everyone or am I way off base? One other question, am I better sourcing my kitchen and widows myself as a supply and fit or is this something that I could do with my builder, just thinking they might be able to achieve so steeper discounts than little old me.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

D

124BD4C1-EE47-4B5E-A9DD-1C8A7D15E4DB.jpeg

799ED828-8D3D-4A4A-808C-C2E0BCAB9DB0.jpeg

B6D2197C-7DCE-4B8B-A2A1-68BD42408015.jpeg

BAADC26E-4ABF-4D36-967C-9AE2DBF539A8.jpeg

What about ye? Eh? Sticken out?  Anyway, welcome.

Oooooh, you'll have the BH Flat Roof Police after you soon. Mine leaks.... but we're getting it fettled. You might like to work through the criticisms of flat roofing . Sounds like you have some good contacts: that's a really good start.

Good luck

Here's a list of BH posts with the term Flat roof in the title.  All good fun innit?